Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Saturn Sky Build

It's running a lot better now:

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Pat View Post
    I think it will end up being near the same weight as your mustang but I'm not sure how fast I can really go on an IRS. It's really just meant to be a fun car that retains the handling of a sports car. I have a set of the new style brembo cts-v two piece rotors and 6 piston calipers that I'm going to be installing w/19" wheels.
    Those are going to be insane, I've got the gen 1 V setup on my firebird with a lot of weight pulled out of it and they grab like you wouldn't believe.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Do you still have the 2.4 and electronics?

Ever think about building the 2.4 into a mini monster of sorts? I know it's about 1/3rd the size of an LS7 but im sure you could get decent power/reliability out of it.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

They are gigantic, even bigger than the Z06 ones:

Quote Originally Posted by chunkybs View Post
    Those are going to be insane, I've got the gen 1 V setup on my firebird with a lot of weight pulled out of it and they grab like you wouldn't believe.

The motor that came out of it was a turbo 2.0 DI ecotec (redline). I already got rid of it dirt cheap, it felt really slow for 290hp. They do get really good gas mileage (34mph highway @ 70) with great reliability. I thought about doing something with it but I don't think I could get motivated doing a 4 cylinder swap into anything unless it was a golf cart or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Do you still have the 2.4 and electronics?

Ever think about building the 2.4 into a mini monster of sorts? I know it's about 1/3rd the size of an LS7 but im sure you could get decent power/reliability out of it.

Forum Member

I've got a low mileage 2008 Sky RL myself, babied since new, and I'm drooling a little at this thread. You want to come over and convert mine once you're done with yours?

I've wanted more power myself, and so far, have held off buying a tune. But an LS swap has always been on the radar too. It's just hard to stomach gutting the power train from a fully functional, low mileage car... at least for me. Then again, maybe I'm just poor! Pat - What do you think you'll have invested in the swap when it's all said and done?

Totally understand the brake upgrades too - stopping power on a car as fast as this one is (even in stock form), is bad.

Bonus with the new IP is you got rid of the squeaky plastic. Another minor nuisance.

Decisions, decisions... LS swap in the Sky, or sell it and buy a used C6 Z06?!?!?!?
    Last edited by Killjoy; 03-02-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Pat View Post
    They are gigantic, even bigger than the Z06 ones:

Drooling over here, those calipers are monsters!! And to think, they're no slouch on the huge ass V, in that little sky you're going to be doing endos lol.

There was a guy at an auto-x i ran in that had a LS3 swapped sky that he towed around with a SRT8 jeep, i wanted to live his life.
    Last edited by chunkybs; 03-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

The cost of the conversion is basically the cost of the motor and trans and finding some C6 parts. I've found that the car is almost identical to a C6 corvette so you can use almost everything off of a C6 including the motor mounts. If you could find a truck LS motor/trans for less than $2-3k then the entire conversion would probably be around $4k after buying the C6 radiator, fans, etc. Maybe add $1k if you wanted an aluminum block motor. You get to re-use the stock 4 cylinder computer because it's the same one they used in V8's but you'd want to start out with a V8 engine harness.

I didn't think the stock dash was squeeky, but the high pressure injectors did make a constant ticking noise.

I would get a C6 Z06 before trying to make a Sky fast

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    I've got a low mileage 2008 Sky RL myself, babied since new, and I'm drooling a little at this thread. You want to come over and convert mine once you're done with yours?

I've wanted more power myself, and so far, have held off buying a tune. But an LS swap has always been on the radar too. It's just hard to stomach gutting the power train from a fully functional, low mileage car... at least for me. Then again, maybe I'm just poor! Pat - What do you think you'll have invested in the swap when it's all said and done?

Totally understand the brake upgrades too - stopping power on a car as fast as this one is (even in stock form), is bad.

Bonus with the new IP is you got rid of the squeaky plastic. Another minor nuisance.

Decisions, decisions... LS swap in the Sky, or sell it and buy a used C6 Z06?!?!?!?

Wow, nice build. I like the body style better than the Solstice, what turbos are you using?
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

They're borg warner S366's. I agree on the body style, the solstice is pretty ugly to me but I know a lot of people prefer it over the Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTSINR View Post
    Wow, nice build. I like the body style better than the Solstice, what turbos are you using?

Thread Information