Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2015 JDM GTR

Default My 2015 JDM GTR

I joked with my wife about getting a GTR when we moved to Japan. One thing led to another and it I started looking in to how that would work, costs and time to deliver it, etc.

The dealers don't really carry these in inventory except for the occasional demo car at a bigger dealer. It's funny because I had never actually even sat in a GTR prior to taking delivery but I knew it had 4 seats and that a car seat could fit in the back. :smile:

I put in an order right before Christmas and the car came 9 weeks later. Ordered a Pearl White 2015 GTR Pure Edition with no options. To close the deal, the dealer ended up throwing in a set of the "carbon fiber" floor mats, a book to put the owners manuals in, the backup camera, and the ETC system to go through the toll booths without stopping. Japanese cars lag by a model year when compared to the US - 2015 is the newest model available for the GTR right now in Japan.

The Pure Edition is a somewhat lesser spec than what is offered in the US in that it does not include the Bose Stereo and a couple other things that aren't really important for going fast. I figured any weight that can come out of the car can't hurt. There was a dry carbon trunk and spoiler that could be added to the Pure Edition as stand alone options but they just drove the price up further and I didn't really think there would be a difference in anything meaningful. JDM cars have a few other differences like lighting and the navigation is a Nissan Carwings unit and has a Digital TV built in to it.

I worked through an agency that specializes in getting cars for foreigners. The car ended up being sold through a dealer in Tokyo but I took delivery at a different Nissan dealer that is one of the two High Performance Centers (authorized to service) in my area.

The guy who sold the car from the Tokyo dealer came in for the day to deliver the car. A bunch of managers showed up too to take photos as they had never delivered a car to an American before.

They left all the plastic inside the car prior to me getting in there and offered to leave it in the car if I wanted. The salesman then walked me through all the features of the car and answered all my questions. I had an interpreter there and we had a few interesting exchanges on the use of the car, the service and warranty. The car is speed limited in Japan unless you are on an approved track and enable the higher top speed. Each prefecture has a Nissan Nismo dealer who can break that feature for a price. Will end up doing that in a few weeks.

Now for a few bad photos.

Car as it sat when I arrived.

There are 4-5 guys who hand-build the engines for all the GTRs

Salesman taking plastic out of the car after I got to check it out a bit.

Car had 44 Kms on it when I took it and the car was driven 14Km from the port to the dealer. Would be hard to get less Kms on the car at delivery unless you got the car from the dealer closest to the factory and asked them to take it by truck or something. The factory signed off in the manual that they put 30Kms on the car for the break in and brake bedding, etc.

1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible
    2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

Awesome car! It looks great in white. Congrats!

What is the cost of it in Japan compared to us. That is awesome

Club Member

Awesome, enjoy!
    -Jerry
    http://garage.twelve22.net/
    85 Monte/83 Monte (Parts)

Forum Member

They had 2 in Yokohama last Feb/March/April when I was there.
    Cool car, crazy to sit in, might need a class or 2 in order to drive it and use all the stuff in there.
    Like a fighter jet cockpit!

Wasn't you just in Poland?

Killer ride too
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-05-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Forum Member

Thats awesome man it looks great! How do you like the car and Japan for that matter?

I've been getting to know this car from the outside lately and have a new appreciation for it. Must be fun for you to drive it in its country of origin as well. Very nice car and that white is so classy. Pretty motor too. Enjoy it!

That's awesome! How was it getting used to RHD vehicles? Probably a little weird at first but at least you don't have to work on the left hand quick shifts!
    '00 Camaro
    PBMF > *

Quote Originally Posted by 99SaleenSpeedster View Post
    Awesome car! It looks great in white. Congrats!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    What is the cost of it in Japan compared to us. That is awesome
    Base price is similar but tax is significantly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Wasn't you just in Poland?

Killer ride too
    Yeah, we took another assignment beginning this January. Sold the BMW and decided to go bigger this time.

Quote Originally Posted by abazababalla View Post
    Thats awesome man it looks great! How do you like the car and Japan for that matter?
    Car is great but still getting to know it. I had it for a couple days and then had to go on a business trip so I have only driven it a handful of times so far. Japan is awesome, I'll start a photo thread for this place like I did for Poland when I get some downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by sardeanie View Post
    I've been getting to know this car from the outside lately and have a new appreciation for it. Must be fun for you to drive it in its country of origin as well. Very nice car and that white is so classy. Pretty motor too. Enjoy it!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LTLHOMER View Post
    That's awesome! How was it getting used to RHD vehicles? Probably a little weird at first but at least you don't have to work on the left hand quick shifts!
    Getting used to RHD takes some time. I have driven in the UK a few times before so it's not entirely new, but it's always a bit strange due to old habits and muscle memory. What is weird is going back and forth between RHD and LHD in the same week.

Thread Information