Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2015 JDM GTR

Car is really fun so far but I haven't driven it very much yet. Drove it to Costco with the family yesterday and filled the trunk up with crap. Got a couple amused looks from some guys in the parking lot.

One issue did come up so far. Drove the car in to work the day after delivery. Things were fine until I drove out of the work parking lot to go home and the tire pressure check light went off on the dashboard.

Mildly annoyed, I stopped in to the nearest gas station to check on that. We checked the pressure in all the tires with a gage and found the front driver's side was low. They initially didn't want to top up the tire with regular compressed air because it was a nitrogen filled tire. It was only down to about 180 kPa from the 220 recommended so I just told them to fill it and then drove it home.

After getting home I looked the tires over more closely and found this.

I called my dealer and they sent out the service manager and an interpreter to my house the following morning.

After showing them the issue, I asked them if they thought the car already had the screw in the tire when they delivered it and they said it wouldn't be possible to know. When I asked about how to proceed they said that the GTR policy is that they don't repair tires because Nissan does not want a tire that has been dismounted to be put back on the car... Needless to say I was fairly pissed at that point but they were there and prepared to take the car away and fix it so I told them to go ahead. I had to leave the next day for a business trip and it was either them take it and fix it then or deal with it myself later when I got back.

I got an eye watering estimate for tire replacement from them by email. Considering the car was nearly less than 24 hours sold I proposed that we split the costs 50/50. They said they didn't have the ability to negotiate that then and would get back to me. After some back and forth we ended up settling on about a 70/30 split on the costs. They gave the tire back to me so I'll probably have it repaired at a tire shop and keep it for a spare. Either that or make it into a piece of furniture.

The screw was barely long enough to go fully through the tire...

Looking at the photos for this thread reminded me that they had significant construction going on at their dealership (see the first photo of the thread) so I have asked them if their contractors are using this type of screw. Maybe the contractor will be honest with us if they are using small stainless self tappers... No reply back yet.

Cool

Domino's Pizza, Costco & a GTR.....what more could you ask for

SUCKS!!!! that's surprising the screw went all the way through ON a treadblock. Id still keep an eye on that wheel!
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Nice Ride !!!!!!

What ever you do, don't pay attention to Nissan's announcements at Press Days for the New York Auto Show later this month.

I would have just put a professional patch in that tire, it will last the life of the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    What ever you do, don't pay attention to Nissan's announcements at Press Days for the New York Auto Show later this month.
    Yeah, I've known that to be the case for a while now. There will be no regrets on my side. The cost will surely go up and the deals won't be nearly as good anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Pat View Post
    I would have just put a professional patch in that tire, it will last the life of the tire.
    If I had my own tire machine and balancer I would have done that too. Seeing that I don't, I will take the tire and have it repaired and keep it as a spare in case one of the front tires picks up something else down the road.

Should I need to use that repaired tire in the future, Nissan will not be involved and therefore won't be raising the concern that the tire can not be remounted/reused after being removed in the past.

Took the car to Okayama International Circuit last weekend for a track day sponsored by a Japan auto parts store company called Autobacs. I signed up at the store and paid $150 to attend. I was expecting a few laps with a lead car, no passing and some rides by a couple pro drivers who were supposed to attend.

My expectations were completely blown away. We had a brief driver's meeting and then they put me in the advanced class and let us loose on the track for two 30 minute time attack sessions!

It was actually pretty amazing - every car that was there had modifications; I think I was the only one there who was stock. There were guys who showed up with trailers and pit crews, highly modified cars, etc. I was just planning on a few leisurely laps.

There were a couple guys in earlier groups running off the track and tagging barriers and many marks where guys were running off the track into gravel traps when I got out. I was actually more worried about other guys running in to me, but our group was really civil and there were no incidents in either session.

Circuit Mode!

I finished in 7th place overall which I felt was great considering I never got a clean run due to traffic and it is my daily driver. No need to murder the tires, they are expensive here!

That rules!!! looks like screen shots from Forza or Gran Turismo! Were you holding your own against modded cars on race tires?
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

I was holding my own but that was about it. A lot of the other cars had much less power but were gutted out with semi-slicks, full suspensions and most of the bolt-ons.

I was there to have a fun time and there were other guys running off into the barriers on multiple occasions in the early sessions.

Thread Information