Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any golfers in here?

I JUST went threw this. Im 6'5 so i was all about the custom club. However..its not a HUGE adjustment. I am +1 on the shafts of my clubs. I asked the guy how much longer they would go. This was at Golfsmith fyi. He told me they would only go a +2 on a set of clubs. Anything after that you start to lose the integrity of the shaft. Now im not sure this is written in stone everywhere, but thats what i was told.

They have many different options of irons. Like others have said, they'll let you swing what youre looking to purchase. I liked that they were pretty honest with me and not looking to just take my money. I told them i was just trying to learn, and see if i liked it or not. They told me to buy a cheaper set of irons and work up from there. No need to dump a ton of money into them and hate it. They all do returns and all that fairly easy. They'll also do "trade ups" later down the line if you decide you do want to buy a different set. All in all i think i walked out with irons/driver/3W/putter/bag for around $1000 bucks. Decent set of callaway irons and drivers. Ive been going to the driving range every day and i really am enjoying it. I do just like you sometimes where i seem to stand up on my down swing and get the top of the ball. Im getting better with practice. Im still lobbing that bitch to the right though a good 5 outta 10 times lol.

OH..the custom length only took them about 3 days to complete. I had the shafts +1 and i had them add grips i liked. Turn around time was minimal as they do it all in house once they get the iron shafts.
    -Cory
    *MPH Whats Your Limit?*
    1999 Turbo Trans Am WS6
    Rear mount retired

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71 6.6 Diesel
    2010 Corvette Z06

Racing to some people equals 10% racing....90% trash talking.

Quote Originally Posted by 99TransAmWs6 View Post
    I JUST went threw this. Im 6'5 so i was all about the custom club. However..its not a HUGE adjustment. I am +1 on the shafts of my clubs. I asked the guy how much longer they would go. This was at Golfsmith fyi. He told me they would only go a +2 on a set of clubs. Anything after that you start to lose the integrity of the shaft. Now im not sure this is written in stone everywhere, but thats what i was told.

They have many different options of irons. Like others have said, they'll let you swing what youre looking to purchase. I liked that they were pretty honest with me and not looking to just take my money. I told them i was just trying to learn, and see if i liked it or not. They told me to buy a cheaper set of irons and work up from there. No need to dump a ton of money into them and hate it. They all do returns and all that fairly easy. They'll also do "trade ups" later down the line if you decide you do want to buy a different set. All in all i think i walked out with irons/driver/3W/putter/bag for around $1000 bucks. Decent set of callaway irons and drivers. Ive been going to the driving range every day and i really am enjoying it. I do just like you sometimes where i seem to stand up on my down swing and get the top of the ball. Im getting better with practice. Im still lobbing that bitch to the right though a good 5 outta 10 times lol.

OH..the custom length only took them about 3 days to complete. I had the shafts +1 and i had them add grips i liked. Turn around time was minimal as they do it all in house once they get the iron shafts.
    x2

Look into Long Tom Driver... I have one and Love it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

You definitely need a fitting. After that, lessons. I took lessons from Tim Katanski at Ann Arbor Golf and Outing last summer before I played The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island (bucket list course and it is much nicer than you can imagine!) and that helped a great deal.

Golf is such a great sport because it's a game you can play your entire life. Welcome back.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

I went to Carl's and got new irons that were +1 length and 2* upright, along with a stiff shaft. They instantly made a difference in my game. I just bought some Taylor Made irons that were a few years old, and got a set for $500. They do everything I need them to do. My in-laws are much more serious golfers than I and both have custom fitted clubs. It helps, but if you're not going to play religiously, save a little cash and find something off the shelf.

Ended up with Callaway XR's from Golfsmith. Pretty happy with them. +2 on the irons and +1 on the driver/woods. Obviously, time will tell on the course, but they felt real good on the simulator. Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by slowfive0 View Post
    Ended up with Callaway XR's from Golfsmith. Pretty happy with them. +2 on the irons and +1 on the driver/woods. Obviously, time will tell on the course, but they felt real good on the simulator. Thanks for the help guys!
    Sounds like the same set of clubs i went with.
    -Cory
    *MPH Whats Your Limit?*
    1999 Turbo Trans Am WS6
    Rear mount retired

2010 Corvette Z06

Should be awesome! The 2" longer irons felt amazing. Always felt like I was compensating for the clubs being on the short side when its hard enough to just play the game right. Feels way more natural now. So excited to get back out and chase that stupid ball around again LOL!

Thanks for the help guys!

Forum Member

I just picked up the exact same @ Carls. Ordered them 2 weeks ago. I'm 6'7", so my fitting was +2", and +2°. Got the Callaway XR's with a X Stiff Tour Shaft. My club head speed for ~110mph on the irons. I could finally draw the ball with the XR's and the right shaft. While there I got talked into the TaylorMade M2 driver.

Driver arrived Monday before I left for a business trip, and I pick up the irons this afternoon. I'm excited as all get out. This is the first set of new irons i've had since I had my Clevelands made in ~1997, and I play a lot of golf.

They seem to be a good set of irons for sure. Im 6' 5"..they only did mine +1..which i was kinda thinking they were gonna go the +2..but guess not. This is my first set and attempt at golf, so cant say id be able to compare. So far though im having fun.
    -Cory
    *MPH Whats Your Limit?*
    1999 Turbo Trans Am WS6
    Rear mount retired

2010 Corvette Z06

They seem to be a good set of irons for sure. Im 6' 5"..they only did mine +1..which i was kinda thinking they were gonna go the +2..but guess not. This is my first set and attempt at golf, so cant say id be able to compare. So far though im having fun.
    You're having fun racing the golf cart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Thread Information