Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any golfers in here?

Default Any golfers in here?

I haven't played much golf in the last 10 years or so. My friends enrolled me in this charity tournament and I've always wanted custom clubs (6'8" 295lbs-45 years old) to better accommodate my size, so my wife got me a gift certificate to the local golf store for $1500.

What should I buy? Friggin confused looking at all of the different materials, designs, etc. and I need to get these ordered soon to be able to have them in time for the tournament.

Any help is much appreciated!

If you currently have clubs...i'd say go hit a few rounds and see if you still enjoy it. No other advice other than...my neighbor just dropped $1200 on golf equipment and now he can slice it much farther than before. His driver has an AntiSpin face and he uses Callaway balls that reduce spin...Yet he still sucks. I hope you find a pro to set you up right.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

I went to a local pro shop and had a set of off brand clubs custom made. Mine are copies of some Pings that were popular a few years back. They are usually a copy of whatever is popular, and a ton cheaper. Plus, unless you are a perfect 50th percentile, it will probably help your game a little.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Go to Carl's or a good golf shop and have them fit you. Hit a few different types and see what feels right for you. Make sure they set you up with the correct shaft for your swing speed. You'll probably get set with cavity irons instead of blades. Cavities are more forgiving. If you've got any money left over, take a few lessons. That'll help more than the clubs will.

Agreed. Carl's or Golfsmith will both let you swing clubs and you can get what feels right and works best. That's what I did about three years ago and love what I left with.
    '18 Regal GS

Trade gift certificate in and buy car parts

I have Adams stuff and really like them. I bought my stuff at Carl's and the customer service was unreal. I told them I had another driver that had a crack in it that I bought at play it again. I was told to bring it in, they sent it out for warranty told me it was a crap shoot. Sure enough they sent me a brand new club and all I had to do was pay the shipping

Thanks guys! All good advice. I love the game and am very competitive by nature. I just haven't had much time over the last few years due to family and business. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and would like to get back in it. My biggest problem always was the clubs felt too short. I'm 6'8" and I had to spread my legs out well past my shoulders and bend my knees a lot to get down where I was supposed to be due to my height. I do have some old wilson cheapo clubs that I used in college. I did go out once a year or two ago and I do still love it. Just want to get the right equipment so I can focus on the rest of my game.

Don't mind spending this money to get fitted by a pro and to purchase some higher end equipment, but I want this equipment to be close to what I need (plan to keep it a long time).

Obviously, referring to things like the shaft material, flexibility of said shaft, club head design, cavity or no cavity on irons, etc. A good pro should have no problem setting me up, but sucks gambling on whether your salesguy is actually good or just trying to make a sale on the product with the best return....

My biggest thing I used to have problems with is I would stand up a little on my drive and top the ball. Used to piss me the fuck off! Hard enough hitting that stupid ball when everything is right with your equipment. More of a problem for me with my woods. I tended to hit the higher number irons better. Go figure since they are obviously shorter.

Do plan to take some lessons once I get the right equipment. I heard great things about Carls, but my wife got me a gift certificate to Golfsmith. Hopefully, I get someone good lol

Turbo89gt on here went in to get some +1 or +2 clubs and when he as buying them the guys said it's all about how you are.... and Bill Laimbeer used +1 clubs. I'd go take a few cuts and see what they say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Go to Carl's or a good golf shop and have them fit you. Hit a few different types and see what feels right for you. Make sure they set you up with the correct shaft for your swing speed. You'll probably get set with cavity irons instead of blades. Cavities are more forgiving. If you've got any money left over, take a few lessons. That'll help more than the clubs will.
    read the first three words of the above quote. it's all you need.

Thread Information