Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirl marks on black paint

Default Swirl marks on black paint

HELP!

My black '99 Lightning looks like crap.

I was told this will get rid of swirl marks, but any other comments will GREATLY be appreciated.

1. Wash truck with Dawn soap in HOT water to remove everything from paint.
    2. Clay bar
    3. Wash again
    4. McGuires polish (it says it removes swirls)
    5. Wax.

I am doing all this by hand. I did the Hood. Took about 1.5 hours. I am doing this in the garage (not in the sun). Also, I have Natural light bulbs CFL bulbs. These are as close to natural light that I have found. Under these lights the hood looks awesome. But again, i haven't put it in the sun.

So here are my questions.
    what swirl remover should I be using? I thought it would cut the paint (actually clear) a little, but nothing is showing up on the towel, Per the instructions, I don't let the swirl remover dry and only do a small section at the time. I did the hood in 5 sections. Any more, the polish will dry. Is there a better swirl remover?

Wax. I used McGuires Carnuba wax and really like it. Then I put a coat of McGuires (I think) NXT wax, and it left an oily film that looked horrible. SO I spent a while trying to remove this film, and then I put another coat of Carnuba wax on top. I haven't had it in the sun yet.

I have a cheap orbital vibrating spinning waxing thing.. (whatever the hell its called). Should i use that instead of by hand? If so, what pad should I use? It came with one that looks like terry cloth and another that is much softer. I used them years ago. They need to be washed, how should I wash them? I know not to use fabric softener. Should I let them soap in a bucket with dawn soap to loosen it up and then toss in washing machine? They both have dries wax on them from years ago.

HELP!

I have a car show Saturday in Williamston/Webberville somewhere around there and I want the truck to look good.

ALSO, I have the Mothers power ball to clean the rims. They are chrome rims. What should I use to clean them and make them shiny? what product?
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Me personally I wouldn't rub the truck out by hand use your orbital. With the orbital you won't burn the paint like you would with a wheel. If you clay bar the truck make sure the clay bar is new and there is no contaminates in it. If you drop the clay bar throw it out and get a new one. McGuires makes good products so you shouldn't have a problem there. Me personally I would by new pads for the orbital if they have been sitting around. The smallest piece of dirt in there on a black paint job could scratch it to hell. As for the residue after you wax I found that just rinsing it off with water and drying it will take it off. Wizards also makes a great product called mist and shine that you can spray on there and wipe off to get rid of that residue. Hope this helps and just take your time with it!!!!

Thank you
    ---------------------

You arent going to get paint correction results with an orbital. I would recommend a DA polisher like a Porter Cable 7424. You need to do test spots with various pads and polishes/compounds, starting with the least aggressive methods first.

If you dont want to correct the paint, use a glaze that has fillers in it. Poorboys World Black Hole or Prima Amigo work well. From there top with a wax that doesnt have a cleaner in it, or it will remove the glaze from the paint. Most people top Black Hole with Poorboys Natty's Blue.

Here is a link to get you started in reading up. Yes, I know a lot of people dislike Autogeek, but Mike Phillips is the man. I followed him to Autogeek from Meguiars a few years back.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    You arent going to get paint correction results with an orbital. I would recommend a DA polisher like a Porter Cable 7424. You need to do test spots with various pads and polishes/compounds, starting with the least aggressive methods first.

ml[/url]

i have one if you wanna borrow it,
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Forum Member

Meguiars M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound with orange Pad, follow up with Meguiars M205 with black pad using a orbital polisher. Work great.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by Den_CTSV View Post
    Meguiars M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound with orange Pad, follow up with Meguiars M205 with black pad using a orbital polisher. Work great.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/
    Wow, good read, I didn't read the comments though. I've always used 3M compounds, polishes & my Makita rotary, but I think I'm going to try the M105 & 205 & dig out my 7424 next time I do a sand & cut.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by DRAG-ULA View Post
    Wow, good read, I didn't read the comments though. I've always used 3M compounds, polishes & my Makita rotary, but I think I'm going to try the M105 & 205 & dig out my 7424 next time I do a sand & cut.
    Want to do this to my car? Wait, lets get it back running first!
    ****MATT*****

Also a note, beginners should never use a rotary.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

what a pain in the ass.

wash truck
    clay bar
    wash truck
    polish
    wash truck
    wax (2 coats).

Ugh. Took 2 days.

Looks 100x better
    ---------------------

Thread Information