Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying Mountain Bike

Default Advice on buying Mountain Bike

Well, I am in the market for a new or used bike. I will be using this hopefully to ride for longer distances (roughly 10-15 miles) around town to help motivate me to lose weight. Looking for advice on size, # of speeds, and brands to look for or stay away from. Roads traveled will ne smooth with no off road stuff going on.
    Any advice is appreciated and if anyone has something they want to get rid of, let me know.
    For sizing reasons I am 6 ft even and currently 265lbs...thanks motown. .

Forum Member

You may consider a hybrid bike instead. You won't be bent over the handlebars as you would a mountain bike. I rode mine yesterday for 16 miles with no problem. the tires are wide enough to handle most roads, paved or gravel.
    Check here if you don't mind used, these are mostly slightly higher end bikes, no Huffy or Schwinns. >>>https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mich...keClassifieds/

Club Member

I've started looking and have zeroed in on hybrid bikes as well instead of a mountain bike. I've sort of focused on a Diamondback Insight 1 right now from Nashbar (waiting on their next sale), but I also was looking at Nashbar's flat bar bike as well.
    -Jerry
    http://garage.twelve22.net/
    85 Monte/83 Monte (Parts)

Find a bike shop that's close to you and pay them a visit. Explain to them exactly what it is you want to do and what your budget is. Do NOT let the salesperson try to get you to spend more than what you're comfortable with. Then let them properly size you for a bicycle and go from there. If you're not comfortable on the bike, don't buy it. You'll never ride it. A test ride (usually around the parking lot) is enough to give you a good idea if the bike fits you or not.

I will also recommend a hybrid for your intended use. Im a similar build to you and just recently picked up a diamondback wildwood. I find the riding position very comfortable compared to my old mountain bike. Its only $350 check it out

Another vote for a hybrid/dual sport style bike here. I went looking for an MTB earlier this year, and my advice is simple: stick with a bike shop. There is a huge difference between a department store bike and a bike shop bike. While you may pay more at a LBS, it will be worth it in the long run if you stick with it. Also, once you get a bike, look at replacing the seat immediately. If it's not comfortable, you won't want to ride. Make adjustments if needed and make the bike how you want. You'll enjoy it more by doing so.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissGTO View Post
    Find a bike shop that's close to you and pay them a visit. Explain to them exactly what it is you want to do and what your budget is. Do NOT let the salesperson try to get you to spend more than what you're comfortable with. Then let them properly size you for a bicycle and go from there. If you're not comfortable on the bike, don't buy it. You'll never ride it. A test ride (usually around the parking lot) is enough to give you a good idea if the bike fits you or not.
    ^^^ Nothing but great advice right there!

The best bike for you, is the bike you ride. I use a "hybrid" bike.
    It is simply a mountain bike outfitted with slicks, road tires. I love
    my old bike, I recently bought a new Trek and I'm having a hard time
    letting go of the old one & using the new one!

I ride an average of 25 miles a day, one day 3 weeks ago I rode a
    34 mile day and a month ago I rode a 104 mile week. Stick with it
    and PLEASE wear safety gear.

I use a helmet with a rear view mirror and a high visibility vest.

Happy & safe riding to you!

Giant Yukon EM (2).JPG

# Bike 1.JPG

# Bike 2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    ^^^ Nothing but great advice right there!

The best bike for you, is the bike you ride. I use a "hybrid" bike.
    It is simply a mountain bike outfitted with slicks, road tires. I love
    my old bike, I recently bought a new Trek and I'm having a hard time
    letting go of the old one & using the new one!
    Which Trek did you get? I'm trying to convince my dad to pick up one of their DS bikes.

To OP, helmet is a must. It's the least you can do to save yourself from any kind of accident that could leave you a vegetable.

Forum Member

I have a real nice KLM Mountain Bike with a lot of quality parts on it For Sale. I paid over $500 for it new about a year and half ago. It has a locking front shock. (turn the dial to lock it or keep it soft). Disk brakes, 21 speed, till has nubs on the tires. Its white with white wheels.
    I will let it go for $350 or best offer. I just dont ride it much and it hangs it he garage.

Mike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Which Trek did you get? I'm trying to convince my dad to pick up one of their DS bikes.

To OP, helmet is a must. It's the least you can do to save yourself from any kind of accident that could leave you a vegetable.

I bought the Trex "Police Package". I don't know the actual name.
    I believe it was around $1,200 new.

It is a very nice bike, I just have to get use to a new one. I put a
    lot of miles on the old one.......must......let......go

To the OP, also buy (only $15 to $20) a speedo / odometer for your
    new bike. It is really nice to be able to track your mileage.

#Police Trex.jpg

Thread Information