Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Schwartz 1964 Chevelle Chassis Final Fix

Club Member

Working on the car for the past couple weeks. Finished brake lines, moved shifter handle back to center of console, mounted rear bumper and working on front bumper.

Schwartz Performance Inc. chassis didn't have any rear bumper mounts, but had the front ones. I tried buying a rear clip with all of the brackets from them but after 2 months, I got tired of waiting for them to make a set on 'the jig', so I made my own and welded them onto the chassis. Thinking the fronts were OKay, I never even checked them against my original frame, before I sold it.

Anyway, fast forward (?) a year and I am ready to mount the bumpers to the car...The rear bumper fits pretty good even after I had to cut the entire rear clip completely off and remount it because the body didn't fit onto the chassis.

Now I try to mount the front bumper onto the chassis and can't believe it. Doesn't even come close to fitting. The brackets are at least 8" too short, about 1/2" too wide and about 1-1/2" too low. Not one bolt will even line up with the nuts they have welded in the tubing. Rather than flush mount nuts on the inside of the bumper bracket, they drilled a 1" hole and welded around a hex nut. I tried grinding the weld and nut flush with the mount so the bumper bracket would sit flat on the entire mount, but when the weld was nearly flat, the nut fell from the tubing mount.

Since the bumper brackets fit so badly anyway, I just ended up cutting the entire mount from my powdercoated chassis. I am going to make new bumper mounts, weld them to the frame so I can use the factory bumper brackets.

Some pictures of the weeks progress below....There is quite a bit of grinding dust just from cutting the mount from the frame...The mounts are also lying on the floor....

DSCN5352.JPG DSCN5353.JPG DSCN5356.JPG DSCN5357.JPG

Club Member

Man, could that company have done a worse job? I doubt it. That just sux.

Looks great now though! Finished product will be amazing.

There is no way that chassis could've been made for your car. The measurements for the front bumper are not even in the ballpark. 8" too short?!?!? Geez

Club Member

Made new brackets and welded them to the chassis. The front bumper is finally mounted....

Comparison of the ones which were originally on the chassis and the new ones I made and welded onto the chassis

Before welding

From the inside

Tacking it on...

Welding...

More sparks just because they look cool...

Getting closer by the day....I tried getting Matt (Krazybones) over to help, but he just doesn't want to help an old guy anymore.....grr

Ouch... That Krazybones is a real... no good for nothin... no good friend of mine anymore!

Getting closer Gary, I see you had the Guru over throwing the sparks! Love you man... Wish my car was going as well
    ****MATT*****

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybones View Post
    Wish my car was going as well
    All you have to do is put an FI unit on. I can do that in my sleep....

Gary

The car is looking great. Hope to see it in person at an event some time.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Club Member

Finally received the wheels and got them mounted and installed. I am still going to lower the car a little bit more to optimize the control arm angles.

Dats nice....

Thread Information