Thread: 2002 mustang gt spark plug repair sleeve?

Default 2002 mustang gt spark plug repair sleeve?

I was changing spark plugs in my 02 gt tonight and made it through 6 plugs with no problem. Got to cylinder 3 and the plug broke free with same tension as the other 6 and started to unthread like normal, but after about 4 rotations it bound up. So I tightened it and tried it again. Same deal, but got 4 1/2 rotations then bind. Did this twice more and the plug came free. But then to my horror, the plug has been previously sleeved! And the sleeve was seized to the plug. I noticed a cross hatch like pattern at the top of the sleeve like it is to bite into the aluminum head. If I tighten the plug back in the head with same torque as the other plugs will this be an issue with it being removed? And do these require more torque then a regular plug to bite into the head in order to hold in place?

Here i am, what are your other 2 wishes?

Put it back in just like you took it out and drive, I had the same issue on my expedition and it never gave me a problem.

Forum Member

Ive had a Timesert come out with the spark plug before. I just added some loc-tite to the threads of the insert and put it back in the head with a new spark plug and the car was fine, even with a supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Put it back in just like you took it out and drive, I had the same issue on my expedition and it never gave me a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    Ive had a Timesert come out with the spark plug before. I just added some loc-tite to the threads of the insert and put it back in the head with a new spark plug and the car was fine, even with a supercharger.
    Thanks for the input. I feel a little more at ease. I thought I was screwed when I saw the plug emerge from the hole. Lol

Here i am, what are your other 2 wishes?

Thread Information