Thread: Dodge Demon

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    8 blew up at that event
    [sarcasm]Not surprised given Chrysler's lack of quality control.[/sarcasm]

15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

The first time I ever took my demon to the track, it was 90 degrees out and VERY humid. The air quality was so bad, the car itself displayed an "air quality" warning, the same way it displays severe weather warnings like tornados and storms. It was horrible. I took a pic of it because I thought it was funny that I was on my way to the track in that terrible of weather. I had no idea how to drive it, so I figured for my first pass, I'll just stage, floor it, and see what happens. Then I'll see what it does and start playing with tire pressure, launch RPM, etc.

That first pass in high humidity 90 deg weather was a 9.8x and it was also the slowest pass my car has ever made. It's since been to the track many times, including a street car shootout for which we had to drive it 2 hours to the track. We went to the finals at that one and only lost on a holeshot.

No, my car is not "bone stock", but it has very little done to it, and it's a hell of a lot of fun and VERY fast for a brand new car with bolt-ons. It's never had a single failure. I consider it a hell of a good deal, and I'm super happy with it.

11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

Quote Originally Posted by paul09 View Post
    [sarcasm]Not surprised given Chrysler's lack of quality control.[/sarcasm]
    News flash for you: Fast cars break. Sometimes beginners don't know this

Mine hasn't (lol), but when it does, I'm sure not going to cry about it.

Forum Member

Lol, yes, I'm well aware (I'm guessing by the winky face that you noticed the 'sarcasm' tags on my post).........and nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by paul09 View Post
    Lol, yes, I'm well aware (I'm guessing by the winky face that you noticed the 'sarcasm' tags on my post).........and nice car.
    I know you know, but some people really think it's crazy for a 4500# 9 second car to break on a prepped track. I'm not sure what the deal is with the one in the video above, maybe it's stock, maybe not. I do know that most of the stock ones that broke the diff, failed because the guys were not experienced and let the wheels hop too much......tire shake can break ANYTHING.

Forum Member

Agree 100%. I've heard/read some real stupidity when it comes to these cars. Even with the Hellcats, I read about a stock one that ran a real good ET. Then a 'naysayer' said that it wasn't 100% stock because the driver used the gear shifter to shift each gear of the automatic transmission at a slightly higher RPM than stock, which resulted in slightly more boost, and by that logic, said it wasn't stock anymore

Just out of curiosity, is there instructions on how to set the trans brake? I remember when trans brakes came out for the 2004R on the Grand Nationals, they were very specific about loading the drivetrain before setting the brake. If there was slack in the driveshaft or something, it would bust the pumpkin almost every time. It is like the difference between brake torquing a car and dropping it into drive from neutral with the gas floored. I am just curious. I still think the a factory trans brake is the most amazing thing in these cars, I am just wondering how they make the rest of the driveline survive the hit.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there instructions on how to set the trans brake? I remember when trans brakes came out for the 2004R on the Grand Nationals, they were very specific about loading the drivetrain before setting the brake. If there was slack in the driveshaft or something, it would bust the pumpkin almost every time. It is like the difference between brake torquing a car and dropping it into drive from neutral with the gas floored. I am just curious. I still think the a factory trans brake is the most amazing thing in these cars, I am just wondering how they make the rest of the driveline survive the hit.

-Geoff

To be honest, in my opinion the trans brake is a mess.

Your post actually describes why it's a mess lol. The thing was designed to also use the cars braking system in a way that helps eliminate the slack in the drivetrain, in an effort to save the parts. Because of this, it kind of takes a lot of effort and a lot of misc actions in order to set the trans brake. I have never even used it successfully, although I think mine is worse than others because my car makes a decent amount of torque more than a stock one.

I'm going to spend some time on it though and with some more work on the tune, will hopefully get it working. I'll post up if I do.

-Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Thread Information