Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodge Demon

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...aser-explained

In case you were wondering what all the numbers meant.

Highlights, 757 meant virtually nothing and 815 was apparently totally meaningless as they don't even bother explaining it.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 4 cam tbird View Post
    "The NHRA banned it." Whatever. Who was really looking to buy one and go try to run it at a NHRA national or even divisional event. Every track in America is going to let it in for test and tune or grudge night that is what people would run it on the track at anyway and every track will turn the same blind eye to it that they turn to every other car that doesn't even come close to teching for the speed it goes.
    Whatever? I am just quoting the NHRA, so yea whatever. Here is the quote from the article.
    The National Hot Rod Association certified the Demon’s production-record setting quarter-mile time and then promptly banned the Demon. How come? “The elapsed time and the speed (140 mph) on this run exceeded the limits ... of our rules,” wrote the NHRA. “The car exceeds 9.99 seconds and 135 mph.”
    So yea, take a chance every time you go to the track,. Or you can do like Stenod used to do on his turbo 4th gens and slam on the brakes at the 1/8th mile every time and coast to a mid-11.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Here's how I imagine two of my color choices looking on the Demon. F8 Green is a classic throwback and Destroyer Gray is the new hotness.

F8 GREEN.jpg
    DESTROYER GRAY.jpg

Stanford put mufflers on his Cobra Jet to run it in events....So this thing being banned might impact some that do want to run it in events....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

There are a variety of ways you can make the car run 10.0 that it would be legal to run at an event. Pump gas PCM. Race gas PCM + big front tires + seats probably does it. Ok, you can't go to an NHRA snactioned event and run 9's. You can go run 10.0 and the car can be configured in a manner to do so. To say, the car is banned form NHRA tracks is 100% bullshit because you can buy it with seats, do nothing, not swap the PCM, not remove the seats, not put the skinnies on, and it will run times that are legal for it to run as you bought it. Times that are still faster than any other stock car. That's right. Even without all the crazy stuff, this is STILL the fastest street legal car to roll off a show room floor.

Oh, you can go to a T&T and risk getting kicked out, right, yeah, they police that so well. Give me a fucking break. I bet 90% of the people on this forum have gone to a drag strip and outrun the safety requirements for their car. You didn't even need to run fast enough to need any sort of cage to do it. Sticky tires with no driveshaft loop? You ran fast enough to deserve kicked out by the rules. And how many have run 11.49 with no bars or 9's without a full cage or 8.49 without a funny car cage?

Stop hating, stop over reacting to the hype, and appreciate what is likely the most bad ass car we're ever going to see for the use most people on this forum appreciate fast cars. A quarter mile at a time
    Last edited by 4 cam tbird; 04-13-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by 99TransAmWs6 View Post
    Im not a mopar fan at all. Never have been, never will be. But this is refreshing to see a OEM actually paying attention to what a good portion of people want! Seeing them just take all the things that every other OEM would run from and put it out on the line say.."we can do that" is just an awesome thing. Kudos to Dodge. GM and Ford both are going to feel the affects of this in the "performance" aspect. It may of taken dodge awhile to get into the mix of OEM vs OEM..but way to come out swinging for the fence. They've taken everything the other 2 OEM's tuck their tails between their legs with and put it on a OEM car. Again, Awesome.
    I too can appreciate the 'go for it' attitude that an OEM must have in producing a car like this (I worked at Chrysler for 9 years, so I know first hand), but let's be honest...the market for a toy that costs $85k (plus dealer markup) is still relatively small in the big picture...and still out of reach of the majority of your average enthusiasts. I'd love to own one, but I sure as hell can't afford one.

And you're not taking away anything from any other OEM...it's a market segment that doesn't exist. I suspect the guy who buys the GT500 or the ZL-1 isn't feeling buyer's remorse just yet...and likely won't. I've yet to hear any of the guys I know in that position say, "I'm dumping my car and getting a Demon". They are entirely different animals. Again, I think they've simply created they're own segment...it'll be interesting to see if the other OEMs bother to respond.

Either way, I think it's cool as hell that they actually built it.

Ya know, that 9.65 pass was November 21st at Orlando which is like 150' elevation, and I bet the track had teeth for Dodge to set the record. The average buyer, or even the experienced racer will need crisp fall air at a great track to repeat those numbers. Normal summer day at Milan and i bet that car doesn't run in the 9's.

--Joe

yep -1300da, on nittos and 40 degree air, some mickeys would be nicer

seems like a 10.0 car to make all the tracks happy
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Ya know, that 9.65 pass was November 21st at Orlando which is like 150' elevation, and I bet the track had teeth for Dodge to set the record. The average buyer, or even the experienced racer will need crisp fall air at a great track to repeat those numbers. Normal summer day at Milan and i bet that car doesn't run in the 9's.

--Joe
    If it's like the Hellcats and like the usual conservative rating by SRT, my guess somebody will run a 9.40 something with it somewhere. I do get your point though, most drivers won't be seeing 9.60s most of the time.

Saw someone talking about no heated seats and steering wheel. Has that been confirmed? It has the big uconnnect so why wouldn't those be a option also? I know it's irrelevant but was just curious.

Thread Information