Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auto insurance nearly doubled by adding new driver (16 year old) - is this normal???

Club Member

Default Auto insurance nearly doubled by adding new driver (16 year old) - is this normal???

My daughter got her license in early December and by adding her to our existing policy (autos and homes are with the same carrier) our auto policy nearly doubled (went from $3200/year to $6500/year). We have three cars listed as daily drivers and two toys I have in storage (just theft/fire/acts of nature for coverage for the toys) and two homes (primary residence and one rental). Previously it was just my girlfriend and myself (She's 50 and I'm 46) and neither of us have had an accident or ticket in forever.

I have an agent that supposedly shopped around and she claims this was the best she could find. Just wondering if this is normal or if she's full of shit and was just too lazy to shop around as she claimed?

Thanks in advance for the input/feedback.

Hi! give me a shout and i'd be more than happy to run some numbers for you and see what i can do

business card.jpg

Normal. A divorced guy I know just quoted adding his kid to his policy (who don't live with him) and his company raised his rates and refused to lower them. You are screwed on your rates if you acknowledge having a kid. All you can do is get the best deal you can.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Can you exclude your daughter from all of your vehicles except the one she will be driving?

Im curious to hear some viable options, that's CRAZY expensive!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 88RedLX View Post
    My daughter got her license in early December and by adding her to our existing policy (autos and homes are with the same carrier) our auto policy nearly doubled (went from $3200/year to $6500/year). We have three cars listed as daily drivers and two toys I have in storage (just theft/fire/acts of nature for coverage for the toys) and two homes (primary residence and one rental). Previously it was just my girlfriend and myself (She's 50 and I'm 46) and neither of us have had an accident or ticket in forever.

I have an agent that supposedly shopped around and she claims this was the best she could find. Just wondering if this is normal or if she's full of shit and was just too lazy to shop around as she claimed?

Thanks in advance for the input/feedback.

Pretty sure you & I are paying auto insurance for
    all those who aren't......and there is a lot of them!

Teenage drivers are higher risk, but that is the "in"
    to higher rates that include the "unseen uninsured",
    or so I believe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Normal. A divorced guy I know just quoted adding his kid to his policy (who don't live with him) and his company raised his rates and refused to lower them. You are screwed on your rates if you acknowledge having a kid. All you can do is get the best deal you can.

-Geoff

Your insurance company will know. They have access to Michigan DMV records
    that show all licensed drivers at your address.

It pays to have a different address for children

Forum Member

Progressive treats teen driver fairly well. Even when I had my home & car insurance bundled together my previous insurance couldn't touch the rate Progressive quoted. Go to their website and you can get a quote. If you pay everything on-line you get another discount, along with a good grades discount, and if you go the paperless route you save even more.

My parents had to sign something saying that i was excluded from their policy.

I had my own insurance when I was a young driver and my parents rate wasn't affected from what I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    My parents had to sign something saying that i was excluded from their policy.

I had my own insurance when I was a young driver and my parents rate wasn't affected from what I can remember.

If that is an option it might be better for the OP, assuming the teenager's policy wasn't $4k/ year.

YEP

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post

It pays to have a different address for children

Thread Information