Thread: Chrysler techs Drum brake help

Club Member

Default Chrysler techs Drum brake help

Hopefully someone knows how or has access to better diagrams than what I can find. Long story short I bought a 2008 dodge Dakota st that is 2wheel drive. Truck was having brake issues and the owner decided not to repair. So the rear drums and shoes were taken off by the shop and the rear wheels put back on. I bought all new drums/shoes and hardware but can not figure out the assembly. None of the images I can find online are the same spring assembly, and the images that are do not show enough detail to see where everything goes. I can provide the vin if someone has access to a tech database. Thanks in advance. 1D7HE22K28S504490.

Drums brakes are pretty easy, you should be able to figure it out by looking at the springs and matching them with the right location, if you can't do that maybe it should go to a pro? I honestly don't think there are any diagrams as to where the springs are supposed to go. If you want to post a pic of your shows and spring kit I could probably dictate where they go to you.

Usually there is a pin that goes thru the backing plate and through the shoe with a spring for holding it in place.

There is a star wheel adjuster that holds both shoes at the bottom.

A spring runs across the top of each shoe and ties them together

1 spring goes on an angle to each shoe from a pin/hole/ or tab

This is just the usual setup

YouTube....I guarantee there is a video on how to do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Club Member

I'll post a pic tomorrow. I usually have no problem with drum brakes. I always leave one side together just in case I need to reference it. But this one is odd. I have searched tons of youtube videos and images and either they are not the same brake setup or they don't show good enough detail. Part of the problem I believe is that they changed it from a 3 spring system to 4 springs. The two little springs,pins,clips,adjuster, star wheel I have together no problem. The problem is the top return springs, I'm guessing one goes behind the shoes and one goes in front of them. But there are multiple holes and ways it could go. I know a pic will go along way so I'll post one as soon as I can. Thanks for the help. Damn thing is driving me crazy.

2008, drum brakes? Wtf?

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    2008, drum brakes? Wtf?
    Both of my 2008 Fords have drums, and so does my 2012 Chevy. The three mopars we have are all disc.
    Last edited by DeFormula; 02-18-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by afolk83 View Post
    I'll post a pic tomorrow. I usually have no problem with drum brakes. I always leave one side together just in case I need to reference it. But this one is odd. I have searched tons of youtube videos and images and either they are not the same brake setup or they don't show good enough detail. Part of the problem I believe is that they changed it from a 3 spring system to 4 springs. The two little springs,pins,clips,adjuster, star wheel I have together no problem. The problem is the top return springs, I'm guessing one goes behind the shoes and one goes in front of them. But there are multiple holes and ways it could go. I know a pic will go along way so I'll post one as soon as I can. Thanks for the help. Damn thing is driving me crazy.
    Probably a dumb question, but since you couldn't find any info that matches, any chance someone swapped the rearend to something odd with different brakes?

Club Member

No chance. The truck was owned by a local pharmaceutical company since new and has 30,000miles. I'm willing to bet they never even washed it since new. Lol. But when I could not find much for images that match I did verify that I was given the correct replacement parts because I don't have the originals to compare to.

Thread Information