Thread: 350 tpi running rich

Forum Member

Default 350 tpi running rich

I've got a 350tpi that runs extremely rich until warmed up ,but after its warmed up doesn't run as rich.this is in a streetrod with no cats,no mass air ,but it does have map.also there is no ninth injector for cold start.would appreciate it if someone can point me somewhere or to someone knowlegable with the tpi motor.i don't want to just start replacing parts.i could use an obd reader to see if there are any codes but I can't drive it to an autozone in this weather. thanks !

TPI should stand for Throw Parts In...or something funnier than that. I would start with replacing the water temp sensor that is on the side of the driver side(?) cyl. head. And also some of the wiring that is probably fried/crispy from the manifold heat.. I recall those causing issues of all sorts.

Weather? Bundle up!! I dont even know if autozone would scan a tpi car. I'd call first.

Goodluck, I threw EVERYTHING at my tpi and eventually threw a carb on it because it was the middle of summer and it is a convertible.
    Last edited by AutoRoc; 03-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

X2 on the coolant temp sensor

Will the system go into closed loop or does it remain in open loop?

Also the IAT sensor which iirc is on the bottom of the upper plenum may be gunked up by years of sludge and not reading correctly.

The old school way of pulling codes is to jump the top two pins on the right in the aldl connector and wait for it to flash codes.
    Mike

Thread Information