Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: if you got power check in

Default if you got power check in

And we're back

Question

When I do lose power I "back feed" the generator into the house.
    anyone else have it hooked up like this?

I have a 7,500 watt unit. I had a hot tub on the back deck when I bought
    the place. I had small children back then so I got rid of the hot tub and
    put a 4 prong plug on the end of that 220 wire.

I use that line to "back-feed into the house fuse box. I of course shut off
    the main first. This system has worked great for 17 years.

You should have a "transfer switch", but I've had several electricians tell
    me this is ok to do - and it has been for almost 2 decades.

Club Member

With that 7,500watt unit what all can you use in your home? I'm just wondering. Does that allow you to live as normal or do u have to unplug a bunch of stuff as to not overload the generator. I mean as long as I can run the important stuff like garage lights, air compressor, small welder then I guess I could live.

No power in Saline.

My old house in Milan had a full house backup natural gas generator. I sure miss that thing!
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

no power since yesterday morning, north of utica
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post

I use that line to "back-feed into the house fuse box. I of course shut off
    the main first. This system has worked great for 17 years.
    I do the same thing, but I would suggest using a volt meter in the house and check for proper Hertz. You want to maintain around 60hz. I know most generators are automatic, but raising or lowering the speed changes the Hertz. Check it in several locations in the house. I leave the volt meter plugged in my kitchen and glance at it when I walk by...... I learned the hard way years ago... fried everything in my house with a transformer.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by afolk83 View Post
    With that 7,500watt unit what all can you use in your home? I'm just wondering. Does that allow you to live as normal or do u have to unplug a bunch of stuff as to not overload the generator. I mean as long as I can run the important stuff like garage lights, air compressor, small welder then I guess I could live.
    I can normally run everything in the house, but the central AC. So I'm good to go
    with furnace, well (220) lights, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    I do the same thing, but I would suggest using a volt meter in the house and check for proper Hertz. You want to maintain around 60hz. I know most generators are automatic, but raising or lowering the speed changes the Hertz. Check it in several locations in the house. I leave the volt meter plugged in my kitchen and glance at it when I walk by...... I learned the hard way years ago... fried everything in my house with a transformer.
    This sounds like great advice. I can't believe I've been running the
    system I have for the last 17 years. I really should have checked it.

South end of Saint Clair Shores still out... You know I'm in a shitty spot when all the neighbors have generator hookups to their houses...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Forum Member

If you backfeed, make absolutely sure you're disconnected from Edison, and that the branch circuit you're backfeeding on is rated equal or greater than the circuit breaker output rating on the generator receptacle. Most generators in the 7-9kW range use a 30A 240v plug, so you need a 30A or larger branch circuit to backfeed on. If the hot tub is a 50A circuit, then that's fine. But I see too many people putting their generators outside their detached garages and backfeeding 120V over a single 15A garage plug circuit using the 20A 120V out on the genset. That's asking for trouble.

2 out of 3 family members in the 12 & Woodward area lost power. 1 is back up as of last night. The other still has an oak tree laying across the 13,000V lines on the back property easement.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    If you backfeed, make absolutely sure you're disconnected from Edison, and that the branch circuit you're backfeeding on is rated equal or greater than the circuit breaker output rating on the generator receptacle. Most generators in the 7-9kW range use a 30A 240v plug, so you need a 30A or larger branch circuit to backfeed on. If the hot tub is a 50A circuit, then that's fine. But I see too many people putting their generators outside their detached garages and backfeeding 120V over a single 15A garage plug circuit using the 20A 120V out on the genset. That's asking for trouble.

2 out of 3 family members in the 12 & Woodward area lost power. 1 is back up as of last night. The other still has an oak tree laying across the 13,000V lines on the back property easement.
    So you're saying I'm not OHSA approved?
    17098613_10154982733561411_1364394282183207294_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Thread Information