Thread: Relay issue?

Default Relay issue?

I think I've got a bad relay, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

99 F-150. Key out of the ignition, and the ignition is in the off position. The blower motor for the heat-a/c keeps running.

I left the blower off. Hopefully it doesn't kill the battery again.

just looked at the wiring diagram, yes, most likely issue is the relay
    ASE Master Certified Technician

I don't know about this particular situation, because the blower motor was turned off, but I had all kinds of problems with my '00 F-250 caused by a leaking windshield.water would run down onto the fuse box and cause all kinds of havoc. I would walk out in the middle of the night to the horn honking, radio playing, interior lights on, etc. It finally smoked the body control module.

GEM module is a common problem on these older F-150's, and leaky windshields were too.

Quote Originally Posted by standy View Post
    I don't know about this particular situation, because the blower motor was turned off, but I had all kinds of problems with my '00 F-250 caused by a leaking windshield.water would run down onto the fuse box and cause all kinds of havoc. I would walk out in the middle of the night to the horn honking, radio playing, interior lights on, etc. It finally smoked the body control module.
    I checked the interior fuse box and it looks bone dry. I think I would have seen some evidence of condensation on the cover or something. But it's something to keep in mind, especially with the weather lately.

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    GEM module is a common problem on these older F-150's, and leaky windshields were too.
    Would a GEM module cause electrical gremlins? I was thinking it might be the ignition too.

Everything runs through the GEM. Wipers, interior lights, and radio issues seem to be the most common symptoms. Is yours a 4wd? If so, ESOF?

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    Everything runs through the GEM. Wipers, interior lights, and radio issues seem to be the most common symptoms. Is yours a 4wd? If so, ESOF?
    Nope, 2wd. Only other issue is a power window was working intermittently, now it wont go up but it will go down. I haven't seen any other issues.

Mine was pretty obvious- wet floorboard, and surrounding areas. But the fuse box didn't look like it had seen water. However, once I removed the GEM module, it was pretty evident that it had gotten wet. I could see corrosion and water spots on the circuit board. Eventually, my wipers stopped working and I had to replace the GEM. Mine is just a work truck, so everything is manual, but like Hangemhigh stated, it seems like EVERYTHING runs through the GEM module. I believe I would get an airbag and seatbelt chime at,random times as well. I think the back side of the fuse box has a tendency to corrode as well- I had to remove the fuse box and disassemble it to see the back side. It looked fine from the front.

Forum Member

im guna guess blower motor resistor

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by standy View Post
    Mine was pretty obvious- wet floorboard, and surrounding areas. But the fuse box didn't look like it had seen water. However, once I removed the GEM module, it was pretty evident that it had gotten wet. I could see corrosion and water spots on the circuit board. Eventually, my wipers stopped working and I had to replace the GEM. Mine is just a work truck, so everything is manual, but like Hangemhigh stated, it seems like EVERYTHING runs through the GEM module. I believe I would get an airbag and seatbelt chime at,random times as well. I think the back side of the fuse box has a tendency to corrode as well- I had to remove the fuse box and disassemble it to see the back side. It looked fine from the front.
    It didn't necessarily have to even "get wet"... if the floors and surrounding areas/carpet are wet and holding moisture, it can be enough to allow condensation and eventually corrosion to start almost anywhere nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Thread Information