Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Security cam / DVR help for a noob

Forum Member

Don’t laugh, I just installed the harbor freight system. Has remote viewing through an app as well. It gets pretty good reviews. Comes with 4 cameras, with the ability to add 4 more all 1080p. You can set up motion recording, and change the sensitivity of motion.

The quality of the image is great. I’m pleased with it so far (2 weeks in), and I only paid $220 for it

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-i...as/HDIP82W-1-p

Digging up an old thread.... Had someone break into a few of the neighbors cars, and my truck, which was unlocked. I've been putting this off for quite a while. Thoughts on the above link? I will ultimately need 5-6 cameras for full coverage around the house.

This system has 2 color night vision cameras, I plan to add a couple PTZ cameras shortly down the road.
    Last edited by mustangmike6996; 07-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Any more those Amazon cameras/Ring are pretty sweet... software is pretty slick, picks out a person vs trees/animals...

I use the YI brand cameras from Amazon and like them
    R and D racing.

Forum Member

PSA: If you're going to use cheap Chinese PoE cameras, make sure you put them on their own network isolated from your internal home network. Put them on their own vlan, or if wireless - SSID, and block all Internet access to/from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    PSA: If you're going to use cheap Chinese PoE cameras, make sure you put them on their own network isolated from your internal home network. Put them on their own vlan, or if wireless - SSID, and block all Internet access to/from them.
    sent you a pm
    R and D racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    So if you do this how does it send a message to your phone in real time?

Forum Member

Depends on the setup. If you're running cameras connected to a local DVR like the link in post #62, then I'd suggest only allowing the DVR to connect out to only your SMS/email service - not open to the entire Internet, and don't let the cameras have Internet access themselves. If you're using a "DVR in the cloud", then only allow the cameras to connect to that IP/domain. Vlans can be used on a wired network (requires a managed switch), a separate SSID for wireless - both require firewall rules to limit the Internet access. Unfortunately, requires some IT skills to get it done. Although you could also just physically keep your home/business network separate from the camera network -- separate switches, routers... share the Internet circuit if your ISP allows it.

You'd be amazed how many of the these cheap Chinese cameras come from the factory with malware, back doors, etc. There's also tons of people scanning the Internet looking for connected cameras since they're notoriously insecure. I'm not saying don't use them - they serve a purpose at the right price point. You just need to protect yourself -- don't put them directly on your home/business network, restrict Internet access, etc. Treat them like you would picking up a "date" on 8 Mile...

And probably lesser of a threat, but often overlooked -- if you're putting any cameras outside in an easy to access location (e.g. ground level), then there's not much keep someone from unplugging the camera and plugging into your network with a laptop. Most people I know wouldn't even think about running a CAT6 cable out to the sidewalk & connected to your network, but don't think twice about putting an Ethernet camera on their internal network and very easily accessible from ground level. e.g. try to keep them up, out of reach, etc. But yet another reason to isolate.

I ended up getting that setup, I also got another $80 or so off. I'll be planning my setup soon. I plan to get additional cameras after I get everything installed and situated

I've been kind of lazy about cameras lately. I've also gone almost all Reolink at this point. A lot of my 10+ year old CCS (cheap chinese shit) cameras have been dying lately.

I just give them a junk default gateway and DNS servers. I haven't found any that are "smart" to look for a way out or try to use public DNS.

Thread Information