Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Security cam / DVR help for a noob

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Default Security cam / DVR help for a noob

OK... had it with the problems with our neighbors and ready to pull the trigger on a security camera setup.

I would like a system that will support 4 cameras initially, with the ability to add more. Something that records to a DVR and is viewable live via smartphone/tablet/smartTV. Something HD, with a good picture and good night vision.

I am moderately computer savvy, used to work IT about 15 years ago... but it's been long enough that I've forgotten more than I know at this point.. I get that you can run the cameras with POE and I am good with running cables through the attic, etc... but what do I need beyond that? I don't have a traditional home PC at this point... just two tablets that are overloaded with kids games. I don't mind setting up a tower with a monitor to run this thing, if necessary, but that's an added cost, of course.

If somebody could lay this out in the most basic terms possible, I would appreciate it.

What do I need to purchase?
    What is needed to install it?
    Cost? Can I keep a decent four camera system under $1000? under $750?
    Apps required?

Thanks for your help
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Sounds like some shitty neighbors if you need to go this far.

Look into the Ubiquiti cameras and POE switch. I've installed many recently for clients and they are super clear, very programmable, have audio etc. About $1000 for 4 cameras and a small switch. Setup would be easy for you with an IT background.
    1990 GT

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe87 View Post
    Sounds like some shitty neighbors if you need to go this far.
    It's non-stop late night BS. Like, rolling 100' burnouts past our window at midnight, racing/jumping/crashing scooters at all hours, sitting in their driveway with bass pounding hard enough that it's shaking stuff in our house, fireworks in the street at 10pm, garage wrenching with power tools all night, etc. All while the parents are at home. I've spoke to the kids responsible, their friends, their parents, etc. It's been 2 years of it. My wife gets up for work at 4:30am. We don't say a word about anything that happens before 9-10pm... but after that, it has to stop.

Finally had enough and called the cops. Expecting retaliation of some sort.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Make sure you find a true PoE setup. 8 channel might be all you'll want, but 16 is nice. Especially since 16 often coming with more HD space compared to most 8's. Focus heavily on something with 1080 NVR with sound/motion would be my suggestion. Most come with a ready to run system and all you'd want to expect to pick up is a monitor/old flat screen TV to use with it for (IP) configuration and previewing at home. Connecting it to your ISP to make it live on the network is relatively easy with big box brand names, just don't fall victim to faux PoE marketing.

350 to 900 depending on what you settle for and how many channels you want is the budget I would set aside. If two setups are okay for you, finding two 8 channel deals could be less of a hit to your wallet.

I have 16 channels
    iVMS-4500 app on my phone.
    I actually forgot the name of my cameras but they are badass.
    All installed by Mike Johnston justpressplay.com aka mike94zlt1? I forgot his exact screen name, he don't post much anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I have 16 channels
    iVMS-4500 app on my phone.
    I actually forgot the name of my cameras but they are badass.
    All installed by Mike Johnston justpressplay.com aka mike94zlt1? I forgot his exact screen name, he don't post much anymore
    Same.

I know Mike watches that shit when he's bored though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    Paul or Sanders are our only help to get this thing back on track.

pm sent.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by avbcon12 View Post
    Look into the Ubiquiti cameras and POE switch. I've installed many recently for clients and they are super clear, very programmable, have audio etc. About $1000 for 4 cameras and a small switch. Setup would be easy for you with an IT background.
    This. Ubiquiti makes very high quality networking equipment and it will all work together seamlessly and provide years of trouble free operation. It's a pretty big step above the consumer junk one would find at the local brick and mortars.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Didn't know they made cameras now, will have to look into that. Been hearing lots of good things about their other products.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thread Information