Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Security cam / DVR help for a noob

I just did this as well...

I installed Unifi Flex G3 PoE cameras at my place. I have the Unifi Video software running on a Debian server, along with my Unifi Wifi Controller.
    All POE so only a single Cat5 cable going to each camera.

The cameras are $75 each on amazon and provision themselves as soon as they connect to the network. Great solution. Add as many as you want.
    Server was my own...but can be run a windows machine as well.
    Software is free from Ubiquiti.
    3 TB WD Purple HD was $130ish.
    Cameras (which must be Unifi) range from $75-150 each
    Last edited by The Man; 07-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Forum Member

How's the resolution and night vision on the G3s? How good is there software on the mgmt/notification side of things?

I run nanoHD APs + the controller on an Ubuntu VM under VirtualBox and it's been a good experience so far. Using their cameras would be the easy button. Was looking more at the Dahua 2-4MP Starlights plus BlueIris running on a Windows VM. I think the latter would perform better, but not as integrated/slick as the Unifi approach.

I have no experience with the other cameras they have, but i gotta say the Flex G3 cameras seem excellent to me. Resolution is excellent at 1080 and the size of the cameras make them ideal for under overhang mounting, they dont look like cameras hanging down. I have the AC-LR AP and love it as well. I also painted my cameras to match my house color, so they are very discreet.

The video software is extremely user friendly. Im a newbie and i was able to figure it out and get this all going. The one thing i wish i could change is the email alert. The smtp notifications waits 5 minutes before sending a snapshot. Also the motion activated recording is fantastic but takes playing with zones to get to it right, as well as bugs and shit at night that set it off.

overall, excellent product. wife is getting annoyed with me, i keep adding more and moving the cameras.

nvr.JPG
    Last edited by The Man; 07-25-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

I just purchased this system: https://www.swann.com/us/swnvk-875804b2fb

The reason I went with that was I wanted POE. I don't mind cloud, but it's too dependent on other variables. I wanted a system though that integrated with my smart home. I run a Google based smarthome so wanted something I could talk to my google home's and have it show my feed on my tv or on one of my google hubs. I also did quite a bit of reviews on systems and this one seemed to stand out as one of the better ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cr2sCjOu3PU
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Question about running cables and hardware options:

I will be locating my camera system in the basement and need to run all of the ethernet wiring from the basement, to the attic and branch outwards. Any suggestions or Dos/Donts for routing?

I was planning on running a piece of conduit from the basement through an interior wall all the way into the attic (single story ranch) and routing 6-8 ethernet cables through the conduit then branching outward to wherever I plan to install a camera.

Should I use CAT5e or CAT6 cables? Routing that many together, I want to limit the possibility of interference.

What are the best priced crimpers and ends to terminate the wiring? Where is the best local store/online site to buy from? Lowes has the hardware but Im assuming it isn't too competitively priced.

If all of this goes somewhat smooth, I plan to run CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet to each bedroom and living room with wall plates.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GLVVLF6...3-a7efa91334c2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106TDTAC...d_i=B0106TDTAC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07451LPHR...d_i=B07451LPHR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07451LPHR...d_i=B07451LPHR
    Last edited by mustangmike6996; 08-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.

More links in regards to wall plates. I am considering running my coax through the wall plates now too. Some rooms will have 1 ethernet port and some will have multiple. Do the wall plates have to mount to an electrical box like light switches do or do they just have a passthrough hole with a plate screwed to it?

Like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P4WPW1Q...detail_8?psc=1

With these jacks:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHBZF7E...detail_9?psc=1

With these style wall plates:
    https://www.amazon.com/Plate-Yomyray...54438047&psc=1

or:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAR6J16...7-37f4c7a123b8

Forum Member

It's up to you, but depending on the resolution of the cameras you plan to use, instead of running a dedicated Ethernet home run all the way back to the basement for each camera, you could consider putting the PoE switch up in the attic. Would reduce the home run from attic to basement to 1 cable (which a 1 Gigabit uplink should be fine for 1-8 2MP cameras). Just watch max op temp of the switch gear - would be my only concern.

Def run CAT6, not 5 or 5e. Belden is the best, but very expensive and hard to find. I took a chance with some cheap CAT6 from Amazon and it worked fine.

Ideal Technologies makes a couple of different termination tools: 1 and 2 that are more than good enough for a DIY'er.

And they also make "pull through" RJ45 CAT6 connectors. Def get the pull thrus, not the old school type - way easier, esp with the tight CAT6 and inner separator.

You should also plan to buy a cheap continuity tester to ensure you actually wired the cable up correctly (haven't reversed pairs, or not made contact). This one is more expensive, you can find the same for cheaper. Literally just a 4 pair continuity tester... not speed certification.

And ensure you're wiring to the 568B standard.

Home Depot also sells the termination tool and connectors, and last I shopped it, had better pricing than Amazon or anything online I could find. YMMV.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 08-06-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    It's up to you, but depending on the resolution of the cameras you plan to use, instead of running a dedicated Ethernet home run all the way back to the basement for each camera, you could consider putting the PoE switch up in the attic. Would reduce the home run from attic to basement to 1 cable (which a 1 Gigabit uplink should be fine for 1-8 2MP cameras). Just watch max op temp of the switch gear - would be my only concern.

Def run CAT6, not 5 or 5e. Belden is the best, but very expensive and hard to find. I took a chance with some cheap CAT6 from Amazon and it worked fine.

Ideal Technologies makes a couple of different termination tools: 1 and 2 that are more than good enough for a DIY'er.

And they also make "pull through" RJ45 CAT6 connectors. Def get the pull thrus, not the old school type - way easier, esp with the tight CAT6 and inner separator.

You should also plan to buy a cheap continuity tester to ensure you actually wired the cable up correctly (haven't reversed pairs, or not made contact). This one is more expensive, you can find the same for cheaper. Literally just a 4 pair continuity tester... not speed certification.

And ensure you're wiring to the 568B standard.

Home Depot also sells the termination tool and connectors, and last I shopped it, had better pricing than Amazon or anything online I could find. YMMV.

Awesome, thanks. I thought about a PoE switch located in the attic but Id rather have it in the basement incase I need to reset the switch. My house is older and the only attic access is through my kids closet (so Id like to not travel into the attic unless absolutely necessary.)

just my opinion.

I never use pull through connectors. Im old school, and have replaced many of those connectors to not want to use them.
    Always pull a couple extra cables and leave them coiled up in the attic.
    Get a patch panel for downstairs, home runs directly into a data switch annoy me.
    My 1080p cameras are 10/100. Cat5e is plenty for cameras and any future plans you may have, speed is not an issue with cameras. Your not doing 10gig speed on any of your servers are you? Also, I always use Plenum cable.

Cheap jacks are cheap for a reason. I like and use Leviton.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Forum Member

Leviton also makes residential structured media cable panels for terminating the homeruns of all of your Ethernet, coax, telephone, etc. They can be hard mounted (screwed) directly to a floor joist where you just terminate the homeruns (Ethernet and telephone with a standard punchdown tool). They're nice since the panels are modular -- you can do all Ethernet, or Ethernet and phone, or cable - and you mix/match as you need. These structured media panels are handy if you plan to put your switches in a freestanding 19" rack enclosure, that way the homeruns are terminated on something that's physically attached to the house, and then you can just use patch cables between the panel and your rack/switches. Also makes it clean if you ever sell the house, as you can just disconnect your patch cables and it's clean - no hanging cables. Alternatively, you could put a standard 19" patch panel in the rack and terminate the homeruns there, but if it's a freestanding rack (e.g. mine rolls on casters; not wall mounted), that's kinda self-defeating.

CAT5e will work. So will CAT5. I'd just pull 6 since it's not that much more $, is more future proof, and if you're going to buy a 1-2000' roll, might as well have something you can use for higher perf applications too (with the left overs on the roll).

I personally haven't had issues with the pull-thrus. Good to know though that some have. CAT6 is more of a PITA to terminate since it's wound tighter, has the inner quad-seperator, and you really should be using bonded pairs for permanent runs. I just find them easier to use.

Plenum is always one of those fun, debatable topics. For commercial or dense residential, I 100% agree and 'get it'. However, for a single family, single story ranch -- I don't see the value add personally, esp when the cables cost 2x. If my home is on fire to the point that my basement-to-attic Ethernet cables are alit, odds are high I'm either already out of the house or screwed anyways. Toxic off-gassing from PVC probably isn't the top of my issues, nor will that gassing be sucked through a plenum to impact other tenants, HVAC zones, etc. Just my opinion - YMMV.

Thread Information