Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMT800 (00-06 Full Size Truck/SUV) Fuel Line Replacement tips & tricks?

Forum Member

Default GMT800 (00-06 Full Size Truck/SUV) Fuel Line Replacement tips & tricks?

After a ruptured brake line on my '03 Yukon, I also want to replace the fuel lines for peace of mind.

Any tips or tricks? Looks like I need to pull the front driveshaft to get some room, and it looks like a PITA getting them up into the trans tunnel and the bracket secured to one of the trans bolts.

I rebuilt the entire braking system other than the master cylinder (looks like it's been replaced recently) and the ABS block this weekend. Not looking forward to this one either!

Forum Member

I'm dealing with this nightmare as well on my 02 Yukon. Ruptured brake line that runs above fuel tank feeding rear brakes. Hopefully someone has figured out some short cuts.

Forum Member

Been there, got the (expensive) t-shirt....

There's a GM Delco p/n for the complete replacement brake pipe kit. Mine was p/n 22932593. Check the Delco brochure for correct p/n fit. Should be ~$65 from RockAuto. Don't buy it from Amazon unless you like returning items and wasting your time.

My fuel lines looked just as bad as the brake lines, esp under the driver door frame rail area. I decided to just replace them as well at the same time. Went with Fine Line FL149DX, ~$200 from RA.

I had Rich (Detroit Gearbox) do mine. Glad I did, and he did a great job. If you have a hoist, plan on at least a full weekend. No hoist - good luck.

If you're going to replace the fuel lines as well, and you're over ~125k miles, and you haven't replaced the fuel pump yet - I might suggest you do that too while you're in there.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 06-12-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Been there, got the (expensive) t-shirt....

There's a GM Delco p/n for the complete replacement brake pipe kit. Mine was p/n 22932593. Check the Delco brochure for correct p/n fit. Should be ~$65 from RockAuto. Don't buy it from Amazon unless you like returning items and wasting your time.

My fuel lines looked just as bad as the brake lines, esp under the driver door frame rail area. I decided to just replace them as well at the same time. Went with Fine Line FL149DX, ~$200 from RA.

I had Rich (Detroit Gearbox) do mine. Glad I did, and he did a great job. If you have a hoist, plan on at least a full weekend. No hoist - good luck.

If you're going to replace the fuel lines as well, and you're over ~125k miles, and you haven't replaced the fuel pump yet - I might suggest you do that too while you're in there.
    Unless he gave you a super deal, about what did he charge you to do the lines? I'm looking for a ballpark
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Forum Member

I completed the brake line replacement this weekend. All seems well, but I won't know until I get it on the ground and drive it. It was a massive PITD...took all day Sat and most of the day on Sunday. I swapped out everything except the master cylinder and ABS block. All new lines, hoses, calipers, and rotors. I ended up removing the body bolts on the driver's side, loosening them on the passenger side, and lifting the body a couple of inches for extra clearance. I don't have a hoist - just a stubborn attitude and a cheap outlook on repairs.

I used the Delco 22932593 off Amazon for the brake lines. Still mild steel, but vinyl coated. I paid something like $65 + tax (I have prime so free shipping), but it looks like it's $55 + tax right now. No real complaints about Amazon or the product - worked decently. I don't think any other kit would have been less of a pain.

I also picked up the replacement fuel lines - Delco 15207074 - for $300 including tax. I have FlexFuel (VIN Z) so I needed this more expensive set. Otherwise, they are under $200 for the non-flex fuel kit.

Realistically, I'm hoping to get 4-5 years out of this pig, so as long as they hold up well for that amount of time, I am good.

I did replace my fuel pump back in April. I picked this truck up in Feb, and soon learned the pump was weak. Started and ran fine if I had more than 10 gallons in the tank. As soon as it got below that, it wouldn't want to start. If already running, it would run past that level, but wouldn't start.

If someone needs the instructions on the fuel lines, I have the GM service manual instructions handy. I was hoping someone had done these first hand that could give some tips, similar to lifting the body a little for more clearance.
    Last edited by Atrus; 06-13-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Forum Member

Would also be interested to know what he charged for them all - hopefully will make me feel a little better about spending this much time and headache fixing this thing!

Forum Member

And, FWIW...these things literally crumbled apart under the driver's door when I started to remove. I believe both feed lines (front and rear) to the ABS block blew out at the same time.

20170610_120514.jpg

Cool

I too have been through this more times than I care to remember.

As others have already said, best to replace all lines at once, brake,
    gas & trans. Not a bad idea to also replace fuel pump while you're
    at it too.

Yes its a lot of work, but when its done.....its done! One more thing,
    use a very good quality line. I bought some kind of "premium" tube
    line that was very flexible and flared & sealed beautifully. I bought it
    at NAPA at M50 Truck Repair in Dundee (across from Cabela's).

I did the $65 AC Delco brake pipe kit and had New Age Garage install it, a new hard line on the axle and all the hoses. I did trans cooler lines myself. Fuel line, I only repaired what was soft, which was only the hard line from the plastic quick connect to the filter and about 10" in front. All the rest of the line was in really good shape. It would be nice if there was an AC Delco kit for the fuel lines but nothing yet.
    Last set for me is the oil cooler lines (1500HD) but it's more of the typical crimp leaks than anything else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    Unless he gave you a super deal, about what did he charge you to do the lines? I'm looking for a ballpark
    I don't want to get my DGB frequent flyer card revoked, so I'll let Rich reply as I know he LOVES doing these (not)! I'd honestly have to go pull the receipt as he did mine over 2 years ago. And as others have said, this job quickly winds up with additional unplanned work once you're into it. e.g. brake hoses, the metal fuel tank fill tube, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    No real complaints about Amazon or the product - worked decently. I don't think any other kit would have been less of a pain.
    We have identical trucks. I ordered that brake pipe kit from Amazon originally as I'm also Prime and have had good luck with sourcing Delco parts from them. They literally shipped me one of the tubes from the kit, not all of tubes contained within the kit. Called them, they issued an exchange and shipped me another kit even before I shipped this one back. 2nd one got here - same thing - one brake tube, not the kit of 8-10 tubes. Just returned it and got it from RA - no problems.

Thread Information