Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 mercury milan issue need help

I bought it at a auction for my son. It has 100000 on it

The other thing that I can see is a subframe bushing worn out and when it is in reverse (the engine loads the opposite direction) and binds a CV shaft. What about motor mounts or trans mounts?

The odd part is that it only happens in reverse.

Forum Member

did you check the intermediate shaft for binding up

I look under the car and didn't see anything that looked bad. I guess i will take it to a shop

Quote Originally Posted by JCTURBO6100 View Post
    I look under the car and didn't see anything that looked bad. I guess i will take it to a shop
    The inner tierod to rack boot will mask anything obvious.

So I take the car into shop they said it was a rack and pinion.. they change it and it don't do it anymore but alignment is off because new outter the rod ends installed.. I go get the alignment done and as soon as it was done it does it again.. so any ideas

So I take the car into shop they said it was a rack and pinion.. they change it and it don't do it anymore but alignment is off because new outter the rod ends installed.. I go get the alignment done and as soon as it was done it does it again.. so any ideas
    First, I would take it back to the shop that replaced it and make them eat the cost of the rack.

Then ask them to keep looking for the cause.

Has the car ever been in an accident or hit a large pothole? Im thinking that a control arm is bent and at a certain steering angle the CV shaft is binding due to extra angle. It might not have been present with the alignment being out if the Toe was out of spec.

So I got the car back and looked at it myself... I determined it probably was a spindle so I got another spindle and new lower control arms. And the issue is all fixed. Not sure which part it was of the 3 for sure but allset... so sometimes it's better to just do it your self.

So I got the car back and looked at it myself... I determined it probably was a spindle so I got another spindle and new lower control arms. And the issue is all fixed. Not sure which part it was of the 3 for sure but allset... so sometimes it's better to just do it your self.

I'm glad you figured it out.

Thread Information