Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to know before having your residential property survey done?

Default Things to know before having your residential property survey done?

Seems the recommendations for contractor are the two listed below.

Great Lakes Geomatics
    (586) 755-5770

Reichert Surveying Inc.
    (248) 651-0592

Are there any others to pick from?
    Easily establishing the boundaries and having a hardcopy of the property lines identified are the objectives. Any tips, lessons learned, or helpful related information to give?

Not looking for fancy, nor do I want to deal with scheduling in a three week out appointment. Someone that knows there field of work well, can do it in a timely manner, and be easy going.

For what area?

I'm somewhat interested for the same thing in the Clarkston area.

Ive used Reichert before..... pricey, but very happy with his work.... I may be returning to him again soon.

Years ago... I had a surveyors concrete post in my front yard..... for installing a fence, I just used tape measures off the surveyors post. It made it easy..... another contractor came out and did a little digging.... corner posts were in place already. You may want to research where the post is located..... It may be in your yard.
    Last edited by Detroit Gearbox; 06-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Club Member

Rich, you should have a survey already from when you bought the house. Review that survey to see if you have any questions when the surveyor comes out. Also would be a good reference in case there are any discrepencies with what the new survey shows.

I'll look at the records again. Hopefully I overlooked something and those papers are in the file.
    Reichert might be the company I'll try out. Great Lakes Geomatic was said to be the higher priced contractor, but imo that seems to be the general expectations when surveying land is needed.

Check with your city and county, some have the records on file and or can do one from a satellite. Friend did this in armada for a few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    Rich, you should have a survey already from when you bought the house. Review that survey to see if you have any questions when the surveyor comes out. Also would be a good reference in case there are any discrepencies with what the new survey shows.
    almost all title insurance companies will require a survey before they issue a policy. it should be in your paperwork
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

If you are in a sub or developed area your land is likely already platted and has irons set at the corners, all you need is a metal finder to locate them. If you are in farm country then you will need a full survey.

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    almost all title insurance companies will require a survey before they issue a policy. it should be in your paperwork
    Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    The mortgage survey might not suffice for permit pulling, at least in my case. It's only valid for providing input in order to help ID its FMV, rough location, and maybe cost associated for lot size pricing... basically doesn't not do much for follow-on development purposes.

For those seeking the same services as I am, just be prepared to dig deep as the service you'll likely need is a "boundary" survey conducted.

Thread Information