Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Photobucket

Club Member

I was having trouble even logging onto PhotoFuket several months ago, so I downloaded quite a few of my pics when I could get on and it didn't crash. I switched to Imgur at that time and it is pretty easy to use. Why would anyone pay for something that barely worked anyway? $100 per year is one thing, but $400 is another animal all together. The bottom line is I wouldn't have paid $100 per year because it is so crappy...

My question is can we start our own website like thru GoDaddy and host our own pictures that way?

Thanks..............Gary

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
    I was having trouble even logging onto PhotoFuket several months ago, so I downloaded quite a few of my pics when I could get on and it didn't crash. I switched to Imgur at that time and it is pretty easy to use. Why would anyone pay for something that barely worked anyway? $100 per year is one thing, but $400 is another animal all together. The bottom line is I wouldn't have paid $100 per year because it is so crappy...

My question is can we start our own website like thru GoDaddy and host our own pictures that way?

Thanks..............Gary

Gary
    Yes, or from any similar company. That's what I do, for only $9.95/mo. and I have an incredible surplus of bandwith for whatever I might need.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Yes, or from any similar company. That's what I do, for only $9.95/mo. and I have an incredible surplus of bandwith for whatever I might need.
    Well, who do you use and what do I need to do? I don't necessarily want a website, just a place to store stuff, so I can use it like Imugr, or whatever...

TIA - grr

Well, who do you use and what do I need to do? I don't necessarily want a website, just a place to store stuff, so I can use it like Imugr, or whatever...

TIA - grr
    You'd have to rent a web server to store the images, and use software such as Lychee to host and make them visible to other websites and message boards. I just use Imgur, it's quick and simple.
    '16 Fiesta ST

TIA - grr
    I use dreamhost.com. You need to buy a domain name for a few bucks (for instance grr456.com), then Dreamhost supports that and keeps it up.
    From there you upload whatever you want to whichever directory you create (for instance www.grr456.com/*myphotos*), then you can hotlink them wherever you want. The only thing is you need to either remember what you name them or keep jumping into your site to look up filenames.

So now that it's HOSTED somewhere, you can treat it like photo bucket. When you want to post something here, you'd use the "upload file from URL" option, enter (for instance) www.grr456.com/myphotos/picture.jpg, and that's it.

While you can't exactly go and "click here to copy url and paste elsewhere" like you probably did with photo bucket, what's better is if you can memorize or do well organizing your photos and file names, you can just type in their URL from memory. Like me, I know my engine photos are stored under the "performance" folder of my site. Interior pics are under "interior", and so on. I have different folders for the car, other hobbies, family, etc.

their site has been fucked for months now anyway. trying to save everything i have that i might actually care about now. hopefully it doesnt crash a bunch for me

TIA - grr
    grr456,

Look into http://www.bucketexplorer.com/ .

thanks yall. just saved a bunch of pics and now never need photbbucket again

Not sure if its been posted in this thread yet but there's an add-on for Chrome. Been using it for a few weeks and everything seems like it is back to normal. For now...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...flicjjgj?hl=en

Thread Information