Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats or resonator to quiet down exhaust?

Forum Member

Default Cats or resonator to quiet down exhaust?

Looking to quiet the exhaust on my Mustang a little bit. Right now I have an offroad Prochamber midpipe and straight through mufflers similar to Borla Stingers. The car sounds great, its quiet when cruising and out of the gas, but is loud when I step on it. Id like to hear the blower a little more and not draw as much attention to the car when going wot.

I can either have some 12" resonators welded into the midpipe or high flow cats. Which one would quiet the car down the most? I guess I could always change the mufflers too but I dont think any aftermarket muffler is going to be really quiet.
    Last edited by 93 saturn sl2; 07-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Resonators will quiet it down some... It's really all in the mufflers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

do you have tailpipes?

I have Ultraflows and its actually kinda tame. WOT its gets load, but not obnoxious.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Get rid of those Borla Stinger style mufflers, they are obnoxious. I have an OR ProChamber with Magnaflow catback and think it sounds perfect (not loud at all). Swap to the Magaflow catback, I guarantee you will be happy.

--Joe

Forum Member

Yes I have tailpipes. Heres a video of the car now.

I have thought of switching to Magnaflow or a similar style Dynomax muffler (oval straight through instead of circular). Just wasnt sure that it would tame the car down enough to warrant the money. 50 Series Flowmaster may do the trick too; but do I want to go back to Flowmasters again? lol

Last edited by 93 saturn sl2; 07-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Magnaflow is more tame and less raspy than the system in that video.

--Joe

Forum Member

Thats what I need! I found a video on Youtube of that combo and it does seem pretty tame for having an offroad midpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    Thats what I need! I found a video on Youtube of that combo and it does seem pretty tame for having an offroad midpipe.
    Agreed, the Prochamber basically is a 3rd muffler. IMO it is the best exhaust sound on 2V and 4V mod motors. I hate raspy/"tinny" sounding exhaust on mod motors which you always run into when running offroad exhaust. Just make sure you get the regular Magnaflow mufflers and not the Magnapacks........the Magnapacks sound terrible.

--Joe

Forum Member

Yes the 4x9 ovals is what Ill go with. Thanks for the suggestion.

And Ill never get rid of the Prochamber! Its the best midpipe for these cars! Ive gotten a few compliments on the exhaust now and I havent heard any other Mustang that sounds similar. All others are either Flowmasters with an H-pipe or X-pipe and raspy as fuck.
    Last edited by 93 saturn sl2; 07-14-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    Yes the 4x9 ovals is what Ill go with. Thanks for the suggestion.

And Ill never get rid of the Prochamber! Its the best midpipe for these cars! Ive gotten a few compliments on the exhaust now and I havent heard any other Mustang that sounds similar. All others are either Flowmasters with an H-pipe or X-pipe and raspy as fuck.
    I had a prochamber with some sort of Flowmasters. I loved the sound, enough that I wanna do a 4.6 DOHC swap in something just so I can listen to the sound whenever I want. Didn't have the rasp sound at all but it was a pretty loud so it probably had a louder series flows on it.

Thread Information