Thread: Ford Speedo Recal at Dealer

Default Ford Speedo Recal at Dealer

We just finished up my sons 2002 Ford Ranger and put bigger tires on it, but now we need the speedo re-calibrated. I had it done at the Ford dealer years ago on my Excursion, now that same exact dealer says it can't be done? Last time I just provided revs per mile of the new tires, they charged me like 1/2 labor and I was on my way. I've called several dealers and the service writers act like it's the craziest question they've ever heard.

Sooo, does anyone know of a good Ford dealer (we are in Milford area, but willing to drive) that might be able to do this? Is this something that they can no longer do or what? I'd like to avoid buying a programmer just to get the speedo right.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Mark I have IDS/VCM but haven’t recalibrated revs/mile before .

Let me dig into it a bit and get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HI 5 Racing

On that note, my 2011 Explorer speedo is of and I was wondering how it could be corrected. Say it shows I'm doing 70, cruise control will show 69, and the actual speed will be 67-68.

I bought a superchips handheld recently and it really is a good product for what it is. Gives lots of cool little options like tire size and shift points!
    thumbnail_20171216_153122.jpg

Thanks Dan! It would be great if I could get it taken care of.

SVT - I really don't want to buy a handheld for a 3.0L Ranger if I can avoid it, but I've heard good things

Another possible DIY option for Fords is a thing called FORScan. I haven't used it but apparently you can reprogram/ turn different options on or off in the pcm with it. The software is free and you just need to get a OBD2 dongle to communicate through.

I recall back in the day a buddy of mine leased a ranger.... he had two wires and a toggle switch coming out of his fuse box for the drivers window...he flipped it on & off to roll his window up and down...
    seems if you pulled the fuse for the window the miles did not register on the dash.... he was young... drove a butt load of miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    I recall back in the day a buddy of mine leased a ranger.... he had two wires and a toggle switch coming out of his fuse box for the drivers window...he flipped it on & off to roll his window up and down...
    seems if you pulled the fuse for the window the miles did not register on the dash.... he was young... drove a butt load of miles on it.
    easier to switch the white wire with blue stripe

I have a ford NGS it can probably do what you need
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnCobra View Post
    Another possible DIY option for Fords is a thing called FORScan. I haven't used it but apparently you can reprogram/ turn different options on or off in the pcm with it. The software is free and you just need to get a OBD2 dongle to communicate through.
    I don't think FordScan does models that old.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    I don't think FordScan does models that old.
    Ok, I wasn't sure if it worked on all OBD2 ford vehicles back to 96 or not. Just wanted to suggest it because its basically free

Thread Information