Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching from sport bike to cruiser...

Default Switching from sport bike to cruiser...

So I am 35 years old and have owned my R1 for 10 years this year.

Since the Victory bikes are being discontinued after this year, I have seen their prices come down and kind of interested.

I am curious what it is like switching from sport bike to cruiser. I am looking at a Vegas 8 ball with the 1634 engine.

Why? I didnt see a reasoning so ill ask WHY? Im 35 and ride an FZ1 and a KLR650. I rented a fatboy in las vegas and its only real talent was handling the wind gusts that were blown through the desert that day. It was piped and tuned and that did not help it get out of its own way. Oh and you steer it like a truck...you really dont lean them over. Haha

VIBRATION.......This is a problem that I am not cool with. I also rented a Ducati Multistrata in San Francisco which was not nearly as shakey as a Harley but it was still present. Getting away from a smooth 4 banger sucks even though the Ducati suspension was on point.

Why not a sport touring beast? Connie14 Kawasaki has a big following.

A customer of mine has a brand new Victory that looks amazing but I just dont see myself owning one anytime soon...or a giant goldwing EVER... I dont see the appeal or rolling 1500lbs down the road on 2 wheels. Just get a corvette convertible. ..
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta View Post
    So I am 35 years old and have owned my R1 for 10 years this year.

Since the Victory bikes are being discontinued after this year, I have seen their prices come down and kind of interested.

I am curious what it is like switching from sport bike to cruiser. I am looking at a Vegas 8 ball with the 1634 engine.
    I always rode Cruisers, but Mostly Honda's. You can get a pretty good price on a used late 90's early 2000 Valkyrie right now. Smooth as silk 1.5 liter flat six cylinder should get you moving just fine. You could always get a V-Rod if you want a Harley. Those suck for road trips though. I agree that the big Harleys are prone to vibration. Never road one other than around the parking lot, though.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

V Rods run good but the lack of suspension is a problem. Going to a cruiser should mean a better ride usually..the adventure bike market is booming because they have sportbike power and 10" of suspension travel along with an upright riding position.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    10.85 @ 126mph

Cruisers are a different kind of fun. It's more about enjoying the ride at legal speeds, the sound, the torque. Having your feet forward will be different for you. People say that is more comfortable but honestly all of your weight is right on you're butt and you can't naturally use your legs. Lots of old people ride them so you should be good. LOL

I really like the VROD NightRod, but they are more than I want to $pend.

I haven't had my R1 next to anything like the Victory Vegas in a while.... I am guessing the cruiser will take up more room in the garage.... I am already running out of space...

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/index.do

Get the Diesel, it looks insane.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

I did this before I got out of riding all together. I really liked the seating position and it was much nicer for longer trips. Straight line full throttle with lots of tq and no wheel coming up was nice too. They are both fun in their own way though.

highway pegs are amazing, thats why i put some on my FZ1... along with heated grips, heated seat..

I think making a hyperbike into a comfortable ride is better than trying to make a cruiser bike sporty. Case in point is a members ZX14R. He did bar risers, heated sargent seat, dropped pegs, and full luggage. Very comfortable but still 8 second power to keep you smiling when you see a nice stretch of road.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe87 View Post
    I did this before I got out of riding all together. I really liked the seating position and it was much nicer for longer trips. Straight line full throttle with lots of tq and no wheel coming up was nice too. They are both fun in their own way though.
    Your bike was a much better ride than the Superhawk or my R6.

If I ever got another bike (and I highly doubt I will) I'd opt for a cruiser of some sort because of the comfort. As fun as a sport bike is, I will admit that they are not comfortable.

Thread Information