Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tig welder

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEMAGS View Post
    It seems cheaper right from Eastwood. http://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc.h...iABEgJ4-fD_BwE
    Yes, but I paid $300 for my tank from a welding supply shop and this one includes the tank and cart.......If you find something, try to get one with as many extras as possible. Find one with the tank because it is a big expense.

Gary

Club Member

Gary so do you have the the Eastwood tig 200? I have always looked at it on their site and seems like a good deal. I just don't want to try to save let's save a few bucks now but spend more in a year when Im unhappy with it. Just curious if you have actually used a tig 200. Good point on the tank and extras also. Thanks for everyone's help.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by afolk83 View Post
    Gary so do you have the the Eastwood tig 200? I have always looked at it on their site and seems like a good deal. I just don't want to try to save let's save a few bucks now but spend more in a year when Im unhappy with it. Just curious if you have actually used a tig 200. Good point on the tank and extras also. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Yes, I have one which I bought about a year ago. To me, it works fine, but then again, I've never tig welded with anything else, so I can't compare it to another one. I looked around trying to get a inverter Miller or Lincoln, but there weren't many of the smaller used ones out there. This was on sale with free shipping and I think I paid about $800 for it with the cart and helmet. So, by the time I bought some rods, the tank and gas I am into it for $1150ish. But, that was still less than the $1500 Millers and Lincolns and then you need to buy everything else to make it work.

FWIW - I am still a really crappy welder, but I needed for my car, more or less . I wanted to take some welding classes at Oakland near me, but they want you to take the full course at a cost of 4K. I just wanted someone to show me how to hold the torch properly and what to look for for starters. You don't even get to begin welding unless you take a bunch of pre-requisites first, like English! Huh? Well, since I already have a BSME, they were going to let me slide on that one, but I'd have to take a test before they would sign off...$50 for each test, I think...Welding is not going to be a full time career move for me.

Gary

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
    Yes, I have one which I bought about a year ago. To me, it works fine, but then again, I've never tig welded with anything else, so I can't compare it to another one. I looked around trying to get a inverter Miller or Lincoln, but there weren't many of the smaller used ones out there. This was on sale with free shipping and I think I paid about $800 for it with the cart and helmet. So, by the time I bought some rods, the tank and gas I am into it for $1150ish. But, that was still less than the $1500 Millers and Lincolns and then you need to buy everything else to make it work.

FWIW - I am still a really crappy welder, but I needed for my car, more or less . I wanted to take some welding classes at Oakland near me, but they want you to take the full course at a cost of 4K. I just wanted someone to show me how to hold the torch properly and what to look for for starters. You don't even get to begin welding unless you take a bunch of pre-requisites first, like English! Huh? Well, since I already have a BSME, they were going to let me slide on that one, but I'd have to take a test before they would sign off...$50 for each test, I think...Welding is not going to be a full time career move for me.

Gary
    I taught myself and I learned its 90% in the the setup of the components on the torch, filler rod, gas settings, and welder settings. Once those are all perfect the welds turn out beautiful and its easy.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by afolk83 View Post
    A lot of the guys over on garage journal are talking about the alphatig machines as well. Just another one to consider.
    -Jerry
    http://garage.twelve22.net/
    85 Monte/83 Monte (Parts)

Youtube is actually a great resource on TIG welding stuff. Especially for beginners like myself...
    I have used a MIG for years and finally bought a tig....I will see how things go as I practice more and more...

Thread Information