Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to determine Ft/Lbs?

Stick the bolt in something and torque to spec. Then add your extensions and try again. Almost all automotive specs have a +/- of 10%
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Stick the bolt in something and torque to spec. Then add your extensions and try again. Almost all automotive specs have a +/- of 10%
    Normally, that is what I'd do if possible and in question for torque specification. Unfortunately, that is not feasible in this case.

Just a FYI, torqued to spec, rammed home with a impact or crossthreaded are all the same. tight is tight
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

The first person that used a german torque value made it necessary to use new hardware this go around.

That or they were practicing Russia's methodology...

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    Normally, that is what I'd do if possible and in question for torque specification. Unfortunately, that is not feasible in this case.
    why not? clamp a nut or bolt of the correct size in a vise, add the bolt/nut you use to mount the PTO, torque with your extension setup, then torque with just a socket
    ASE Master Certified Technician

A lot of snap on trucks have a torque wrench tester.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    why not? clamp a nut or bolt of the correct size in a vise, add the bolt/nut you use to mount the PTO, torque with your extension setup, then torque with just a socket
    It would require a jig to gain the angle for replicating the situation. Not feasible currently. If a formula was known, figuring out the equation would be less involved me thunks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    A lot of snap on trucks have a torque wrench tester.
    not understanding how that would be used in this situation per the picture in reference.

??

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    It would require a jig to gain the angle for replicating the situation. Not feasible currently. If a formula was known, figuring out the equation would be less involved me thunks?
    Sadly there is no formula for this. Too many variables based on extension and universal quality/metallurgy. Your best bet is to replicate the angle the best you can in a vise and compare torque values. With out some very expensive tools you are not going to get it +/- 0%. You should very easily be able to get it +/_ 5% depending on the calibration of the torque wrench you use.

Also where the hell do you get a 72" extension and how much was it. I can only imagine what that cost.

the wrench being used was calibrated less than a couple months ago. It's now just being used for the first time. Snap-on/Bluepoint iirc. Less than 10% for a +/- variance is acceptable, just don't want to be reliant on the clicker being set at 165 when the end number might be 20+% lower than the setting compounding that with an "error rate" of 10% max thus being off by 30% overall.

Thread Information