Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting OSB boards...

Default Painting OSB boards...

I am in the process of building a new shop and I am on the fence on what I want to sheet the walls with. I am debating on using OSB and painting it white. but I have talked to some who say it takes a whole lot of paint to cover good.

Anyone else have experience with painting OSB board? or plywood in general.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    I am in the process of building a new shop and I am on the fence on what I want to sheet the walls with. I am debating on using OSB and painting it white. but I have talked to some who say it takes a whole lot of paint to cover good.

Anyone else have experience with painting OSB board? or plywood in general.
    It soaks it up, I used kills OIL based first look into FRP board or slot board , Slat wall can be found cheap on craigslist and it really makes storing stit easy
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

i dont have anywhere in my garage that has storage. the rafters were raised up to 10.5ft. I'm still debating on drywall. i just hate idea of mudding and taping.

frp board looks nice but needing 40 sheets can add up quick, lol

I wouldn't do finished drywall if the garage will experience big temp swings. Unfinished drywall that isn't taped/mudded would be fine.

OSB soaks up liquids (water, paint, etc) because it has a lot of exposed end grains.

Plywood would probably look the nicest and is about the same price as OSB right now.

Have you considered steel paneling? That might be the overall cheapest and quickest option.

I know a couple people that have done this in their garages, it looks nice and you can screw small things into it without finding a stud.

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Pat View Post
    I wouldn't do finished drywall if the garage will experience big temp swings. Unfinished drywall that isn't taped/mudded would be fine.

OSB soaks up liquids (water, paint, etc) because it has a lot of exposed end grains.

Plywood would probably look the nicest and is about the same price as OSB right now.

Have you considered steel paneling? That might be the overall cheapest and quickest option.
    What kind of steel panels?

just go get some heavy primer and lay it down with two good coats and then lay your paint over top. we did that in my dads garage and turned out really good.

if i was to do it again though. i would buy/borrow a sprayer and spray it all instead of rolling. so much easier and faster if nothing is in your way

Quote Originally Posted by kammi10 View Post
    if i was to do it again though. i would buy/borrow a sprayer and spray it all instead of rolling. so much easier and faster if nothing is in your way
    Paint it before you hang it, a plumb bob makes finding the studs wasy
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

if drywall ends up being used, tuck 3/4" inside/outside moulding for the corners. PVC or wood moulding, PVC might be best. It'll chop down mud time and imo look better.

Thread Information