Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: New DD recommendations

  1. #21
    Club Member DetroitStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub
    Posts
    15,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    There are certain years of these that had frame rot issues. Make sure you check into that.
    True, but he said he's looking to buy from a rust free area anyway, so shouldn't be an issue, but worth peeking at anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

  2. #22
    Club Member Birdie2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Traverse City
    Posts
    6,262

    Default

    That white Taco is sweet. Would love something like that.

    I've also considered a Blazer ZR2 w/ 5 speed as I had a 2wd 5 speed back in the day and it was a super fun vehicle in the winter. That said, they're uncommon and even the cleanest ones have 150k-200k miles at this point and I just can't do that unless it's like $2k.

  3. #23
    Club Member AutoRoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dearborn
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    haha stop.. you are looking for a $20,000 daily driver, not a $1200 ZR2 from 1998 that has 276,000 miles. A guy i work with runs those old 4.3 engines past 300k regularly, he has an 80 mile commute.

    Jeep wranglers... the older ones you have to climb in and out like a bath tub. you have to lift your feet over a wall to get out... Its rediculous. . the newer ones dont have that "bath tub" design. This is why we got one.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    11.26 @ 126mph

  4. #24
    Forum Member Rumblestrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dearborn
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Get a VW GTI and a proper set of winter tires, Michelin X-Ice, and you will be fine. I grew up on the west side of the state with lake effect snow, we had RWD and radial tires were a luxury. You'll be just fine with FWD.

  5. #25
    Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rochester Hills
    Posts
    4,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    Get a VW GTI and a proper set of winter tires, Michelin X-Ice, and you will be fine. I grew up on the west side of the state with lake effect snow, we had RWD and radial tires were a luxury. You'll be just fine with FWD.
    Even though you'll have all the traction you'll need, ground clearance becomes an issue when the snow is wet/packed and a foot deep. Powder is not a problem.

  6. #26
    Club Member Birdie2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Traverse City
    Posts
    6,262

    Default

    I know I could make FWD work and have driven RWD vehicles in the winter plenty, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it at this point in my life.

    As for the Blazer, I'd totally buy a super clean one with under 100k miles if it meant not having a car payment and I could get 4x4 and manual. Unfortunately none of these seem to exist even at a slight premium. I'm not concerned about engine mileage so much as everything else that wears on a vehicle with that much use (interior, suspension, etc.)

    I'm really pretty flexible for what I want, main things are price should be fair for what it is, not boring, and I don't want to be working on it all the time.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Birdie2000; 10-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.

  7. #27
    Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rochester Hills
    Posts
    4,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    I know I could make FWD work and have driven RWD vehicles in the winter plenty, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it at this point in my life.

    As for the Blazer, I'd totally buy a super clean one with under 100k miles if it meant not having a car payment and I could get 4x4 and manual. Unfortunately none of these seem to exist even at a slight premium.

    I'm really pretty flexible for what I want, main things are price should be fair for what it is, not boring, and I don't want to be working on it all the time.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Do all the research and let me know what you come up with. As I said next year I will need one. Right now I'm driving a 2016 4wd Jeep renegade with 1.4L turbo and six speed manual. Next year when I turn it in it will have less than 20K miles, and they told me the buyout will be $12,900. It has ground clearance and is fun to drive, decently quick and tunes are available, and they can even look cool with knobby tires, etc. Handles kind of like a go-cart and is very maneuverable on trails, ie tight turning radius. The only thing is, it's not really a truck, towing is not recommended with the turbo. It does not meet all the criterion I need, but may be an option for you unless they are just "too cute" for your tastes.

  8. #28
    Forum Member lucky7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Subaru Forester or 3rd Gen 4runner would be top of my list. Both can be had with 3 pedals ('99 and earlier on the 4R), and you can still find 3rd gens with rear E-lockers. I love Minis, but I don't think they're going to last that long on these shit Mi roads. Jeeps are way, way overpriced. It's no secret that I love BMW, but I think BMW + AWD is sacrilegious.

    Or you could wait about 6 months for GM implode......again. There are going to be a LOT of cheap used cars out there soon. The house of cards is falling a part.

  9. #29
    Forum Member lucky7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    As for the Blazer, I'd totally buy a super clean one with under 100k miles if it meant not having a car payment and I could get 4x4 and manual. Unfortunately none of these seem to exist even at a slight premium. I'm not concerned about engine mileage so much as everything else that wears on a vehicle with that much use (interior, suspension, etc.)
    Don't sit in a 4runner then, because you'll never look at a Blazer the same again.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    Do all the research and let me know what you come up with. As I said next year I will need one. Right now I'm driving a 2016 4wd Jeep renegade with 1.4L turbo and six speed manual. Next year when I turn it in it will have less than 20K miles, and they told me the buyout will be $12,900. It has ground clearance and is fun to drive, decently quick and tunes are available, and they can even look cool with knobby tires, etc. Handles kind of like a go-cart and is very maneuverable on trails, ie tight turning radius. The only thing is, it's not really a truck, towing is not recommended with the turbo. It does not meet all the criterion I need, but may be an option for you unless they are just "too cute" for your tastes.
    It's a FIAT under all that plastic, however, and it will probably fall apart. $13k is probably more than the thing is worth.....before the lease is up. Chrysler has always made chintzy cars (IMO), but now they're extra chintzy. Lease, don't buy.

  10. #30
    Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rochester Hills
    Posts
    4,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post



    It's a FIAT under all that plastic, however, and it will probably fall apart. $13k is probably more than the thing is worth.....before the lease is up. Chrysler has always made chintzy cars (IMO), but now they're extra chintzy. Lease, don't buy.
    While I don't agree that all Chrysler's are chintzy, this one, yeah, kinda. That's another reason I'm leary of buying one. The Grand Cherokees I'd buy in a heartbeat (used, can't really afford new). I've driven many with way over 100k miles that are still rock solid.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •