Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New DD recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    1. Check the frame, as mentioned, but if you're buying out west or down south, it should be good. They were known to rot out, there was a recall where Toyota would replace the frame and typically a lot of things directly connected that may have rusted (brake lines, etc).
    2. You want the 3.4 liter V-6. They have a timing belt. Recommended service interval is 90k, but almost everybody agrees that 150k is perfectly fine and many people push past 200k. I'd want one that has been changed at 150k though. It's a non-interference engine, so if it breaks, it's not a huge deal.
    3. As mentioned, they are occasionally found with a manual trans which is cool. A few also came with an optional electric rear locker and that's a pretty nice feature.
    4. Other than that, there isn't much to worry about. Look for rust at the bottom of the door seams and under the fender flares.
    5. There's a ton of aftermarket mods available... solid axle swaps are popular out west, or you can go with a long travel front suspension but that will run you about $4000 (requires fiberglass front fenders, etc).

If I wasn't always hauling motorcycles, I'd be in a 3rd gen 4Runner right now. I just sold my double cab Tacoma (2WD) and I'm going to look at another one (4WD w/rear locker) tomorrow.
    Awesome. Thank you!

How reliable are the auto transmissions in those?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    Awesome. Thank you!

How reliable are the auto transmissions in those?

From what I understand, very very durable.

I saw this third gen last year at a Toledo dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

3rd gen 4runners are one of the best little trucks out there. I have a 4th gen, and my mother has a 5th gen.

My uncle had a 2nd gen, which was arguably the least reliable of them all. It popped a head gasket at 338k, he sold it the same day for $750. It was on Craigslist several days later for $3500. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    Even though you'll have all the traction you'll need, ground clearance becomes an issue when the snow is wet/packed and a foot deep. Powder is not a problem.
    Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. They clear snow way faster up north than they do down here.

A buddy of mine has a Fiesta ST and loves it as well. If they had an AWD variant I'd be all over it. I'll definitely consider it though.

Many of the roads up here are rather nice, just once you get off the main roads they can get steep and/or dirt and windy.

Winter tires like the Michelin X-Ice ones that Tin and I have mentioned are 50X better than having AWD.

Here is the article I did last year for Hooniverse where we drove on an ice rink at Notre Dame comparion AWD and FWD on all seasons and winter tires
    http://hooniverse.com/2016/10/05/the...and-tire-rack/

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    3rd gen 4runners are one of the best little trucks out there. I have a 4th gen, and my mother has a 5th gen.

My uncle had a 2nd gen, which was arguably the least reliable of them all. It popped a head gasket at 338k, he sold it the same day for $750. It was on Craigslist several days later for $3500. Lol.
    The 3.0s had a rep for head gaskets.... but mine had 170k on it when I sold it without issue. They can also be had with the 22RE for cylinder which is legendary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

FWIW, I will almost certainly have snow tires on whatever vehicle I get, even AWD. I've never had them but I know plenty of people who swear by them.

Last edited by Birdie2000; 10-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.

FWIW, I will almost certainly have snow tires on whatever vehicle I get, even AWD. What be never had them but I know plenty of people who swear by them.

They make a world of difference. I didn't think much about them until I got them for my Caprice. That car had no ABS or traction control and I never once found myself sliding or unable to get traction.
    '16 Fiesta ST

I have a Subaru Outback w/ 2.5L and 6spd. I bought it new in 2013, currently have 101k miles on it. I think 2014 was the last year of the 6spd in the Outback. The Outback is a ubiquitous roadway feature in cities with high populations of crazy cat ladies and/or retired public school teachers- like T.C.

My commute is 60mi/day. It's a comfortable fit for my family of 4 and I'm ~6'6". The car is boring as shit to drive on nice sunny days, so I got a Jeep for that. The car is exceptional in shitty weather and especially deep mushy snow. It'd do just fine two-trackin' in the northern trails, too.

Complaints: The factory audio sound quality is horrible. The Subi's floor heat selection really means warm draft over your cold shoes, though your head will be sweating. It also seems to have an appetite for headlamps and tail lamps. I've replaced all the exterior lights and battery so far.

Praise: Poor weather driving. The AWD system is outstanding. The only times I've felt uncomfortable is when I'm doing something really stupid with traction control off. It's really easy to be that a-hole driver on I-94 w/ flaunting his AWD in the snow. The 2.5i Premium is the highest trim level available with 6psd, so the car is rather low-tech and very simple for DIY maintenance. Cops don't look twice at 'em, thieves don't want 'em, and they seem to have good longevity.

If you consider Subaru and the 2.5L, inquire about oil consumption and if the VIN is included in the class-action settlement. The settlement extended engine warranty to 100k. If the engine consumes >1/3qt within 1200mi, Subaru will exchange the shortblock under warranty. I'm going through that now.

^^ Didn't that EJ25 also have a habit of popping HG's prior to 2001? My biggest concern is with the timing belts on Subarus. I had a 9-2x Aero for a day and a half, because that's how long it took to throw the TB and destroy the top end. Still, I'd be driving a Forester with 3 pedals if I didn't buy the 4R.

I'll add another +1 for snows. Had the extra cheap Firestone Winterforce tires on this thing at the time. In 14", I think they cost me about $130 shipped.....for all 4.

I can't imagine having snows AND all wheel/4x4. That would be insane [fun as fuuuu].

Thread Information