Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: New DD recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    ^^ Didn't that EJ25 also have a habit of popping HG's prior to 2001? My biggest concern is with the timing belts on Subarus.
    I think so. I believe that era also initiated the oil consumption complaints and eventual lawsuit, but isn't covered under the warranty. They are interference engines, IIRC the interval is 125k miles. I planned to do mine at ~115, but I'll have it done at 101k during the shortblock warranty.

Make sure to do all the pulleys, too. The TB didn't break in mine, one of the pulleys did.

I'd lease a new truck. They're practically giving them away right now. Then when the market falls out of the bottom for used anything, pick up a used something you actually want. NW Michigan is the perfect place for a TJ or JK. Easy to park, usually don't have to go far (because the mileage sucks), and can go just about anywhere you'd want to go. You can pick up a nice TJ down south for $10k all day.

I wouldn't get anything FWD and low to the ground. I'd rather have a 2wd pickup with snow tires and 300lbs of sand in the bed. I live in Houghton for a long time and I first was up there with a 2wd manual transmission Sonoma with 1 wheel peel and a set of 235x75r15 Cooper Weathermasters. I drove it through two winters. You had to pick your hills carefully but it was still better than any FWD car, and way better than the FWD shitboxes at the time (my friend had a SRT4). I did get pretty good at using the parking brake to limit wheelspin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You live in a great place to own one. Most of the roads down here are straight. This thing is at home in the curves. It's a street legal go kart in every sense of the word. Me and my girlfriend were in a UP a couple weeks ago and I missed not driving it. There's a stretch of road between Munising and Grand Marais that has 198 curves in 50 miles, I damn near shed a tear because we were in her Wrangler and not my ST.
    That used to be a dirt/sand/some gravel 1.5 lane road. It was ruined because of all the tourists driving their shitbox FWD cars getting stuck in the sand or sliding into the lake because thinking they were Mario Andretti when in reality they were Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    That used to be a dirt/sand/some gravel 1.5 lane road. It was ruined because of all the tourists driving their shitbox FWD cars getting stuck in the sand or sliding into the lake because thinking they were Mario Andretti when in reality they were Stevie Wonder.
    Most people up there drive the same stuff we do down this way. No shortage of Foci, Cruzes, Darts, Tauruses, etc. They all manage just fine on all season tires at that. Most of the UP gets exponentially more snow than us, or the west coast of the lower peninsula at that. Blame overly confident drivers, not the cars they are driving. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You can be an idiot and get stuck in any vehicle.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Never had a problem with anything FWD in the snow in my life. I have a 4000lb Bonneville I drive right now with wide tires, worst combination ever. Gets through the snow just fine.
    I like pie.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Never had a problem with anything FWD in the snow in my life. I have a 4000lb Bonneville I drive right now with wide tires, worst combination ever. Gets through the snow just fine.
    The problem is wet or packed deep snow. It's not a traction issue, it's ground clearance. If it's powder it's not much of an issue until it's very deep. Also cars won't make it very far down the trails up north due to the same issue...fall into a rut and you're sitting on the frame rails.

I drove my 92 5.0 Coupe through a full winter in the U.P on BFG Radial T/A's, I was stuck maybe twice that winter and I drove a TON of miles. Regularly had to drive from Marquette to the Soo and Escanaba. So when I recommend a GTI or any other FWD hot hatch on winter tires and say, "don't worry about it you'll be fine" as well have grown up and learded to drive on the west side of the state back when we'd have full weeks of no school because of all the snow, I may be giving you pretty solid info.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

FWIW, I get that most anything will be fine. I drove a F-body through a couple winters, a FWD with nearly bald tires through a few, RWD SUV, and have had an FWD sedan for the last 6. Never had a set of winter tires before. Etc, etc. The point is I'm looking for something better than fine, something that will excel in the snow not just muster its way through it. I'm not 100% opposed to another FWD vehicle (I actually test drove an extremely clean 2003 Golf TDI 5-speed right before making this thread), and I may just end up keeping my FWD sedan as I know it will be fine, but it's been a while and I feel like trying something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

FWIW, I get that most anything will be fine. I drove a F-body through a couple winters, a FWD with nearly bald tires through a few, RWD SUV, and have had an FWD sedan for the last 6. Never had a set of winter tires before. Etc, etc. The point is I'm looking for something better than fine, something that will excel in the snow not just muster its way through it. I'm not 100% opposed to another FWD vehicle (I actually test drove an extremely clean 2003 Golf TDI 5-speed right before making this thread), and I may just end up keeping my FWD sedan as I know it will be fine, but it's been a while and I feel like trying something new.
    I once drove a '95 Caprice ex-MSP cruiser with bald tires and no weight in the back for a winter . Those TDI Golfs are pretty nice cars. You'll be getting 40mpg+ and it will be great in the snow. Either way, get some winter tires, they help immensely no matter if your car is FWD, RWD, or AWD.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    I drove my 92 5.0 Coupe through a full winter in the U.P on BFG Radial T/A's, I was stuck maybe twice that winter and I drove a TON of miles. Regularly had to drive from Marquette to the Soo and Escanaba. So when I recommend a GTI or any other FWD hot hatch on winter tires and say, "don't worry about it you'll be fine" as well have grown up and learded to drive on the west side of the state back when we'd have full weeks of no school because of all the snow, I may be giving you pretty solid info.
    Again, it all depends on where he wants to go. It sounded to me like he will sometimes venture off main (plowed) roads. You can find TONS of roads up north that are never even plowed. Places where 4x4s with good tires get stuck. Ditto in the summer. Some of the backroads (two track style) are simply impassable to ANY car. He might want something with ground clearance, depending on where he plans to drive. That's what he will have to decide.

Thread Information