Thread: Need advice/info on importing car from Canada

Club Member

Default Need advice/info on importing car from Canada

I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the search.
    I remember guys bringing fox bodies from Canada on here before.
    I'm looking to import a Ford focus from Canada.
    I'm hoping it's not super difficult because it's a common car that should be the same in Canada.
    Does anyone know the process?
    I'm debating just using a third party to handle it all, depending on the fees.
    I called the Michigan secretary of state and they said they would need 3 different forms.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tewkes28 View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything on the search.
    I remember guys bringing fox bodies from Canada on here before.
    I'm looking to import a Ford focus from Canada.
    I'm hoping it's not super difficult because it's a common car that should be the same in Canada.
    Does anyone know the process?
    I'm debating just using a third party to handle it all, depending on the fees.
    I called the Michigan secretary of state and they said they would need 3 different forms.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

The odometer and speedometer are metric, in kilometers, not miles.

It has been many years since I brought a car over the Canadian border,
    but when I did, I had all my purchase papers & went right through customs
    in a matter of minutes with no problems.

I would call the customs office at the border & ask what is currently needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    The odometer and speedometer are metric, in kilometers, not miles.

It has been many years since I brought a car over the Canadian border,
    but when I did, I had all my purchase papers & went right through customs
    in a matter of minutes with no problems.

I would call the customs office at the border & ask what is currently needed.
    Not exactly true. My Explorer was sold in Canada originally, and I can't use the vehicle health report feature because it was a Canadian vehicle, but the speedometer and odometer are both in miles.

Like it was mentioned call the boarder office and ask. They also have forms on their website, I looked into this a while back on a boat but never went through with the deal. Also i have seen Canadian vehicles that have had speedo swaps to mph, they then have a sticker and paperwork supporting when the odo was replaced.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    Not exactly true. My Explorer was sold in Canada originally, and I can't use the vehicle health report feature because it was a Canadian vehicle, but the speedometer and odometer are both in miles.

Obviously yours was not, but the overwhelmingly majority are.

On some of the newer stuff, would it be possible to reflash an all digital cluster from metric to standard units?

Club Member

Thanks guys! I did call the secretary of state and they told me what they need. I also called an import company and they emailed me some forms. If they only charge a few hundo I might just have them broker the deal. It seems like there are at least 4-5 forms.
    The car is nothing fancy but it's impossible to find a rust free focus zx3 in this area. For some reason this guy in Canada garage kept this car and didn't drive it in the winter.

Its relatively simple..biggest step is getting the vehicle paperwork entered in ACE (customs electronic document system). You have to do this before you can bring the vehicle across. I paid a customs broker $250 to enter the vehicle into ACE, thrn i drove thr vehicle into the US. Once cleared through customs, I received the customs declaration a week later and took that with the canadian ownership (their version of registration) to sos and applied for my title.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...337176770.html

simple southern car guarnteed to be clean as hell
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Thread Information