Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divorce help / guidance for my brother

Default Divorce help / guidance for my brother

Hey guys, just like it reads. I don't know how to help him much as I've never been through this type of thing. I've read some other posts on here for help as well as the basic Google searches.

1. No kids
    2. 1 year lease on townhouse ends today.
    3. He pays for everything.
    4. They have a car that both names are on title & on loan.
    5. Married just over 2 years, in January she stated she was done and going to file for a divorce, never has but just lives there and uses him. Mental terrorism

I would think this divorce would be simple and possibly just a cheap filling, but I don't know.

Hit me with your thoughts and recommendations

Thanks a bunch in advance

In theory a lawyer shouldn't be needed, but call one anyway. If she's playing games, he may need the help to keep his name clear.

Club Member

That's sad, but thank God no kids are involved. I have never had to deal with this type of situation but would just like to offer moral support for him and you. If it were me I would at least check out one of the attorneys that specialize in helping men out in these cases. Sounds like she is a dependent of his and so that will no doubt cause him some grief ie alimony.

She works too, just doesn't help with anything. It's a sad situation in my opinion too. This divorce should be "easy"without any real property or kids, and hopefully no alimony. She did get in trouble 2 times recently with the law and has since picked up a second job to pay for her court costs. Once for hitting him and once for d.u.i. I'd say she makes as much or more than him and essentially pockets it all.

He called a guy today but the guy wanted $400 to get started and $400 once it got going and and and told him could be 4k by the end. I said that's crazy for what's in my eyes nothing to argue over. I think clearing up the car they own jointly is the biggest necessity. She bought her own car once she decided she was splitting and it's soley hers.

Walk away. Hire a lawyer together to put together the paperwork. He will probably end up paying for that too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Club Member

If they live in Michigan then she won't get alimony. As far as I was told you have to be married 4 years or longer for alimony. He needs to speak with a lawyer, she has a domestic violence charge for hitting him? He definitely has the upper hand and should do just fine but I would recommend a lawyer.

Lawyer up yesterday. If it cost a few bucks it is worth it. With a little checking around he can find a good lawyer. I know a guy that went the legal cheap route route 30 years ago and he is still getting screwed every day. Get his own lawyer do not share one. Like they say, you know why divorces are so expensive? Because it's worth it. Best of luck to your brother.

I Drag Race Because It's Fun, Not Because I'm Good At It.

ISN'T THERE AN ATTORNEY THAT ADVERTISES HERE?

10 years for alimony spousal support

he need to get his name off the car and the loan, meaning, either sell the car or she has to refinance and get his name off the loan.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Thanks all,

Mark, I found the attorney that you were referencing, Trojan Law. I spoke with Ed and I'll have my brother call him.

Forum Member

Thankfully, I've never had to deal with this, but have several friends and co-workers that have. The best case scenario is that both parties are in the same place mentally & can agree on the split and who gets what over a civil conversation and documentation thereof. If that's the case, it should just be a matter of getting a lawyer to document and execute. The worst case is if you can't agree and one (or both) parties wants to fight, then prepare for lawyer bills up the kazoo. I would not call ADAM, as they want the fight in order to charge you every minute spent fighting. But yes, I would lawyer up ASAP. Hopefully they can agree between themselves to move on, and just get the formality done.

Thread Information