Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Used Jeep Grand Cherokee - I need your thoughts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    I am considering a KJ also, but probably would have to be an '05-'07 with six speed manual. Would def be a little peppier than the 4 speed slush box.

On the 4.0, if you have a mind to there is considerable aftermarket support for mods, turbos, etc. The 3.7 there's about nothing you can do with them.

I'm with you on the 4.7. I hate to pay for all the stuff I don't need that comes with the Hemis. The 4.7s do have a bad rep, but I think the later ones are OK. Like everything else, maintenance is very important. BTW, this is hearsay. I've never owned a 4.7.
    Yeah, unfortunately, the 3.7 has no aftermarket, and I don't believe there is much for the 4.7L (at least, the pre-'08 version). I really did think the KJ was a decent DD. I'd like something a little larger like a WJ/WK or XK.

Any experience with the XK's overall? These are built on the WK platform. Any thoughts on the pre-2008 4.7L on the XK/WJ/WK? Is there a good way to check if they've been maintained? Problem is, most of these are at ~100k miles, so it's tough to say if it's been properly maintained. I feel like the 3.7 was barely enough in the KJ, so in a WK or XK it'd be underpowered. The early 4.7L wasn't much better though, at 235hp/290tq. I think the 3.7 was 210hp/235tq.

Part of me just wants to bite the bullet and just order a WK2 Hemi Trailhawk and maintain the shit out of it for the next 10 years so I know the history and all. Then I see the payment and come back to reality.

I think they actually get along great, even better on the freeway. 4.0 is surprisingly strong feeling passing or just taking off. Somebody take him for a ride!

4.0L has just enough torque to compensate for the lacking HP numbers. Downside to highway use for the 4L imo is the low mpg. Any heavy brick with 4x4 awd going down the road will suffer mpg.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, the 3.7 has no aftermarket, and I don't believe there is much for the 4.7L (at least, the pre-'08 version). I really did think the KJ was a decent DD. I'd like something a little larger like a WJ/WK or XK.

Any experience with the XK's overall? These are built on the WK platform. Any thoughts on the pre-2008 4.7L on the XK/WJ/WK? Is there a good way to check if they've been maintained? Problem is, most of these are at ~100k miles, so it's tough to say if it's been properly maintained. I feel like the 3.7 was barely enough in the KJ, so in a WK or XK it'd be underpowered. The early 4.7L wasn't much better though, at 235hp/290tq. I think the 3.7 was 210hp/235tq.

Part of me just wants to bite the bullet and just order a WK2 Hemi Trailhawk and maintain the shit out of it for the next 10 years so I know the history and all. Then I see the payment and come back to reality.
    Yeah the WK2 Trailhawk is fantastic, but no way I'm paying for one. Regarding the XK I bet they would be pretty sluggish with the 3.7 and 4 speed auto. As far as well maintained besides inspecting it and looking for service records there's not much else you can do. I'm starting to lean toward one of the older ones with 4.0L or if I get a WK I'll probably just get the HEMI and try to find one without the sunroof and anything else that adds cost. If there is a nice JK manual for sale at the right time I'll check it out.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    4.0L has just enough torque to compensate for the lacking HP numbers. Downside to highway use for the 4L imo is the low mpg. Any heavy brick with 4x4 awd going down the road will suffer mpg.
    Yeah I know the mileage is pretty bad, but whatever I get it will be a second or third vehicle, probably like 5,000 miles a year, so fuel economy is not a huge issue.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

The good thing about a 4.0 XJ... particularly if you go somewhere dry to buy a rust free one... is that you can drive it for five years and sell it for what you paid. A rust free XJ pulls a premium up here.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    The good thing about a 4.0 XJ... particularly if you go somewhere dry to buy a rust free one... is that you can drive it for five years and sell it for what you paid. A rust free XJ pulls a premium up here.
    Yes good point! I still think one of those with a manual would be a blast, maybe I'll go that route. Just that the GCs are more comfortable and roomy. Hmmm...

I bought a 01 GC. 99k miles. 4.0 4x4 for my niece. Found it at auction. $1500 Couldn't beat it. Hopefully she doesn't kill it.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Not even a girl can hurt the 4.0 !

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    I bought a 01 GC. 99k miles. 4.0 4x4 for my niece. Found it at auction. $1500 Couldn't beat it. Hopefully she doesn't kill it.
    Sounds like an excellent buy. How was it for rust? Online auction or in person type?

Thread Information