Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roaming Wifi finally going

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Does the Pixel offer the missed call notification numbers on the icons like IOS, Samsung launcher and Moto launcher does?

I really like that about the Motos.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure it does. The Moto phones run a near vanilla version of Android, just like the Nexus and Pixel line of phones.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    Details on the setup? We'll be building in the next few years, and I'm trying to research whole home WiFi setup's for a 2 story+basement, 5000 sq/ft home.
    Right now, I'm running a Mikrotik RB2011 router with CAPsMAN (controller access point manager) with a Mikrotik WAP AC and HAP AC Lite in CAP mode. Mikrotik stuff can be a little daunting to setup for somebody not well versed in networking, but they do have a great wiki that helps a ton. Setting up CAPsMAN itself was a bit of trial and error, but the CAPs themselves are simple. Any Mikrotik access point can be booted into CAP mode and will automatically be added to the pool of controlled access points by the main router.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Right now, I'm running a Mikrotik RB2011 router with CAPsMAN (controller access point manager) with a Mikrotik WAP AC and HAP AC Lite in CAP mode. Mikrotik stuff can be a little daunting to setup for somebody not well versed in networking, but they do have a great wiki that helps a ton. Setting up CAPsMAN itself was a bit of trial and error, but the CAPs themselves are simple. Any Mikrotik access point can be booted into CAP mode and will automatically be added to the pool of controlled access points by the main router.
    Awesome, thanks.

Forum Member

Tin - How much work (time) did it take to get the RB2011 configured to support the WAPs? I have the same router and need to place a WAP in my detached garage. Already have a wired Ethernet cable pulled between. Was considering repurposing an old router with aftermarket firmware, but I'd also like 5GHz coverage. For $100, this may fit the bill... and will likely hold up to MI winter temps inside the garage when not heated. I'm also assuming you went with the international version?

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Tin - How much work (time) did it take to get the RB2011 configured to support the WAPs? I have the same router and need to place a WAP in my detached garage. Already have a wired Ethernet cable pulled between. Was considering repurposing an old router with aftermarket firmware, but I'd also like 5GHz coverage. For $100, this may fit the bill... and will likely hold up to MI winter temps inside the garage when not heated. I'm also assuming you went with the international version?
    I didn't get the international version. I should have but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. CAPsMAN, once I had a good grasp on how to get it going, took me about an hour to set up. I looked at a few tutorials prior, but didn't end up using them in the end. With CAPsMAN, you set up a config for one or more access points and load, then add a firewall rule to give them access to the LAN. The config will include SSID, security, Tx/Rx power, etc. Much of the config is optional, since you can go into the CAP menu and fine tune each AP. I have two config, one for my 2.4GHz and the other for my 5GHz. Once CAPsMAN is going, you can boot that access points into CAP mode and they will automatically be added to CAPsMAN, then just load whichever config you wish to use. With CAPsMAN, you manage all access points from the main router, nothing else is needed on the access points themselves

'16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Looks like a good holiday break mini-project. Now if Mikrotik only would run a good BF sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Looks like a good holiday break mini-project. Now if Mikrotik only would run a good BF sale.
    Check Baltic Networks. They're based out of Illinois and they have the best prices on Mikrotik components that I've seen.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information