Thread: 30amp Amplifier fuse blows at random.

Default 30amp Amplifier fuse blows at random.

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali and the under hood amplifier fuse blows at random. Could the amp be bad? Some times it lasts a couple weeks and other times it pops as soon as I plug a new one in.

I chased the wires and nothing is worn, I cleaned the terminals at the fuse connection and after that it lasted the longest. Anything else I should try before throwing a new amp in it? The inconsistent pattern makes me think it is something else.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Check down by the parking brake for about a dozen ish wires passing by the park brake lever. There might be some worn thru wires causing the issue. If not, pull the center console and clean the terminals at the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    Check down by the parking brake for about a dozen ish wires passing by the park brake lever. There might be some worn thru wires causing the issue. If not, pull the center console and clean the terminals at the amp.
    I checked those wires and all was good. I might have to double check them because the back up camera is now black too

have someone take an ohms reading using a multimeter per each terminal inside of the 30amp fuse socket while you move around the wires under the dash by that park-brake pedal area.

Default 30amp Amplifier fuse blows at random.

Do you have RPO Y91? (I think that’s a wheelbase RPO). Looking at the schematic, that fuse is dedicated to the amp by itself. There are an inline connector in between the underhood fuse block and the amp, and the B+ circuit goes through the I/P junction on the drivers side if it has Y91.
    Last edited by RSpencer; 11-27-2017 at 02:45 PM.

So the fuse is still blown and then today the radio came on while driving today, then the wipers came today at the same time. Which it was snowing and slushy so I figured the windshield got wet enough to command them on.

Turn the car off go inside the store and come back out to find the wipers on when the truck is off. Which is strange, the amp power wire must have wore through the power switch wire for the stalk. I can't find it, all the wires by the parking brake look good.

I haven't looked at the rpo code, but it is the long wheel base. Since it has began to snow I have been working too much and clearing snow once I get home.

Thats likely a separate issue. Wiper module [inside motor itself] , ignition switch, or bcm are the areas I'd suspect for the wiper issue.
    You have a heated wiper fluid reservoir?

Has that truck got the hot shot wiper fluid heater in it? That has been known to cause wiring issues.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I am guessing it does. I have to pull the cover off the cowl and see what motor I have. I am assuming the auto sensing wipers have the 6 wire plug?

I have been busy with everything but the cars. Christmas and the 40" of snow we got kept me busy and out of the garage.

Well after 3 times of bringing it in to the garage and digging around the fuse block, under the dash and around the parking brake I finally figured out the common denominator. My heater blows directly at the drivers side front tire. All 3 times I found no issues with wiring and it worked for a day or so after tinkering with it. So today I decided to take the wheel well liner out and some of a beach, there it was.

11 wires in total were cut and several damaged. So 3 hours of cutting, slicing, soldering and wrapping later I have no more issues......for now lol

Thread Information