Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **WELP** Looks like it's my turn... divorce attorney thread

Pm if u still need a "savage" attorney

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by STOCK GT View Post
    Pm if u still need a "savage" attorney
    Your PMs are full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    Your PMs are full

Clear now

Been there done this.. It really sucks sorry to hear! My Advice or 2cents in this.. DON'T hire a cutthroat lawyer.. The only one who wins in these cases are the lawyers. Try and talk things out with her as hard as it might me ..Save yourself thousands of dollars and work it out between you 2 then make sure you have a complete understanding of what you guys are looking for.. My ex did not want to work it out between us "someone" told her to cover her ass so she hired VICOTRIA law... long story short in the end she got way less than I orriginally offered her and cost her (me) almost $20k in unnecessary costs.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by slickstang View Post
    Been there done this.. It really sucks sorry to hear! My Advice or 2cents in this.. DON'T hire a cutthroat lawyer.. The only one who wins in these cases are the lawyers. Try and talk things out with her as hard as it might me ..Save yourself thousands of dollars and work it out between you 2 then make sure you have a complete understanding of what you guys are looking for.. My ex did not want to work it out between us "someone" told her to cover her ass so she hired VICOTRIA law... long story short in the end she got way less than I orriginally offered her and cost her (me) almost $20k in unnecessary costs.
    I haven't been through it thankfully but I have a few friends that have. In one case a lawyer wasn't involved at all and it worked out beautifully. That is probably the exception, but you are right, the lawyers win. They look at all the assets involved and calculate how long to keep the fight going to collect what they think they can get away with. One of my clients was a well-heeled dentist (multi millionaire) and I think they got him for about $300K.

Man that sucks. Especially with little ones involved. Have you looked into retaining someone from ADAM?

sorry to hear this, been through it, it sucks...here's my advice:

She's no longer your wife, she is now a business partner - keep emotion out of it as much as possible.
    The more overnights she gets with the kids, the more child support she is entitled to
    Don't leave the house, ever, until a judge tells you to or is negotiated
    Be reasonable during the divorce, she won't be - judges do look at this
    Aim high, try to settle in the middle. If you start in the middle, by the end, she'll have 75% of everything.
    And yes, everything is negotiable, everything.
    If you guys can sit in a room, hire a mediator (~1-300/hr), vs two lawyers at 300+/hr
    The wider the income gap between you two, the more money one will owe in alimony, however, it's negotiable, AND, tax deductible (negotiate to give her more alimony vs something else, then you can reduce your taxes).
    When you change your filing status from Married to Single, remember, you'll be taxed more per paycheck, so when you agree on how much you can pay on child support, know how much your checks will be, a lot of guys forget this. See an accountant (free) beforehand and ask him to help u figure out your claim amounts, then figure out your single paycheck. Also, whomever gets to claim the child(ren) is also negotiable, offer one year on, one year off.
    If you don't get it in the divorce document, you'll be going back to court over it, and need lawyers again, so do as much up front on paper as you can.

Mine cost me 15k (300/hr), but I ended up on top imo.

Let me know if you want a referral.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lethalss View Post
    sorry to hear this, been through it, it sucks...here's my advice:

She's no longer your wife, she is now a business partner - keep emotion out of it as much as possible.
    The more overnights she gets with the kids, the more child support she is entitled to
    Don't leave the house, ever, until a judge tells you to or is negotiated
    Be reasonable during the divorce, she won't be - judges do look at this
    Aim high, try to settle in the middle. If you start in the middle, by the end, she'll have 75% of everything.
    And yes, everything is negotiable, everything.
    If you guys can sit in a room, hire a mediator (~1-300/hr), vs two lawyers at 300+/hr
    The wider the income gap between you two, the more money one will owe in alimony, however, it's negotiable, AND, tax deductible (negotiate to give her more alimony vs something else, then you can reduce your taxes).
    When you change your filing status from Married to Single, remember, you'll be taxed more per paycheck, so when you agree on how much you can pay on child support, know how much your checks will be, a lot of guys forget this. See an accountant (free) beforehand and ask him to help u figure out your claim amounts, then figure out your single paycheck. Also, whomever gets to claim the child(ren) is also negotiable, offer one year on, one year off.
    If you don't get it in the divorce document, you'll be going back to court over it, and need lawyers again, so do as much up front on paper as you can.

Mine cost me 15k (300/hr), but I ended up on top imo.

Let me know if you want a referral.

Steve
    Thank you for all of the info.

FYI: She makes 50% more than I do.

1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

And I'm not a lawyer, but, you were saying you had equity in the house - whoever keeps the house will owe the other person half the equity. Generally payable immediately.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    And I'm not a lawyer, but, you were saying you had equity in the house - whoever keeps the house will owe the other person half the equity. Generally payable immediately.

-Geoff
    Yeah.

We have actually had fairly civilized discussions on it. House is likely going up for sale and we split the money made.

Thread Information