Thread: Cam Timing

Default Cam Timing

I have to change the timing chain in my firebird as the old one has too much slop. When doing so I'm considering advancing the cam timing. Right now the stall I have is flashing at 4100. According to the cam card I should be in the power starting at 3400, but yet it still seems to lug out of the hole off of the tbrake. I'm considering advancing the cam 4 degrees to try and bring the power down in the rpm some, trying to avoid what I probably really should be doing which is pulling the converter and getting it reflashed. anyone ever play with cam timing, and what kind of change did you see?
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

Where is it shifting at? Are you thinking of tightening the converter?

No experience doing that but 4000-4500 stall is about ideal for a hot streetcar. It leaves room for nitrous (flash 5000-5500) when you are shifting near 7000rpm. Tighter than 4000 to me is "not really trying to 60ft" territory.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Club Member

I advanced mine 4 degrees on my old 340 cuda but was only running about 3000 stall and needed bottom end help. Mine was not a very strong engine and I have to say I couldn't really notice a difference, but I don't consider my experience to be typical. Wow, wasn't that helpful??

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

We messed with cam timing on a big Mopar on the dyno at work. There wasn't a huge difference in the range, torque came in 3-400 lower than before. I'd say as long as your have enough piston to valve clearance, advance it.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Probably won’t change a lot. May also make it more timing sensitive
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I’m shifting at 7200. Sounds like from what I’m hearing, it’s not going to make enough difference for what I’m looking for. I’m probably going to have to get the converter reflashed . Just looking at all my options. Had a converter that flashed at 5200 that worked good. That converter took a shit. Had to get one with a billet front plate. And wanted something a little more Street friendly, which it is. But has killed my 60 foot times. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

Club Member

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

Oh you are in the perfect ballpark to hit it with a 200 shot. It will flash you up to 5000 and away you go.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Oh you are in the perfect ballpark to hit it with a 200 shot. It will flash you up to 5000 and away you go.

Yea, Id like too, but right now I've got too many other big projects going on. And I really want to get the chassis up to par before I start adding a lot more power. Also would have to do a cam swap. This cam is a great N/A cam, but wont work with juice. So for now the car is basically status quo. Maintain it and enjoy it.

Thread Information