Thread: sound deadening options

Default sound deadening options

Installing new carpet and a few things in my fairmont wagon and looking at doing some sound deadening. Not really wanting to spend the crazy money for dynamat even though its probably the best. Anyone use the quick roof peal and stick stuff. From what I have read on the net, seams like a cheap alternative and since this is a budget build figure it would be good. If you have any other options or luck with the peal and stick let me know.fairmont bare floor.jpg

Peel & Seal will definitely work, but you'll be married to it. It uses tar for the backing and it's very difficult to remove if you decide to change it up sometime. If you have no intentions of ever swapping it out, get some. I used it to patch the spare tire well in my Caprice wagon awhile back and it worked great.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 93calypsohatch View Post
    Have you used this stuff before. Price looks pretty darn good and looks to be pretty thick.

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    Have you used this stuff before. Price looks pretty darn good and looks to be pretty thick.
    Yes, I think its one of the best values

back in the day, i used roofing ICE SHIELD.
    I put it on with a heat gun. worked great, eliminated all rattles.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Last edited by derbydad276; 02-07-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 93calypsohatch View Post
    I bought this for my boat. A lot of it. 4 or 5 36sqft 80mil packs I believe. I sent some back (came damaged) and I had to argue to get my money back. I have a bunch more I have given away or thrown on the shelf. I did a bunch of testing with it also using various materials to see how well it does. I have a fairly expensive SPL meter. As far as I can tell, many of the positive reviews are either paid or fraudulent.

I wish it all came damaged so I would have sent it all back. The only thing it is better than is nothing. The foil backed stuff is OKish to work with. You need a roller (I used a veneer roller) and a heat gun and it might stick if the surface is perfectly clean and not slippery. It never stops smelling bad.

Dynamat Xtreme will stick to oiled glass (just kidding, but comparatively it will stick to anything) and you don't need a roller. It cuts nice, places nice, is fairly light weight for the performance, and as far as I can tell dampens most panels 1.5db MORE with the same coverage as the Noico crap. Dynamat really only needs about 33% coverage for best rate of return, but I aim for 60%.

Noico weighs a lot for its performance. So if you needed something to muffle the screams coming from your 1998 E350 panel van... then it's fine.

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    DAMN look at those clean ass floor pans!

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Thread Information