Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric garage heater

Understand the drawbacks of forced air, chimney and such. But having central air in the garage is really really nice in the summer! I picked up a nice used 80% furnace and central air unit for dirt cheap.
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

It's not cheap but I installed a 24k btu split heat pump in my 2.5car garage with finished room above and it works really well. All electric, efficient and quiet. I have 12kbtu zones, one upstairs and one down. It also does a/c in the summer
    Last edited by avbcon12; 12-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    1990 GT

A buddy's dad has a Qmark and loves it. Insulation is key to keep the cost manageable. Says it costs about $1 per hour of runtime to heat a 1000 sqft insulated garage with a 10KW unit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have one very similar to the one OJ posted and it works very well. Ventless and no fumes...cost about $350 Installed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    What's the cost on that one a couple posts up?
    The unit will usually run $500-700 depending on BTUs. 75k BTU Modine Hot Dawg is ~$675. The Reznor is probably a bit cheaper. Install could vary widely depending on NG piping requirements, roof vs. wall vent, etc. I installed mine in 1 day as a DIY, but I already had the main gas pipe run to the garage - just had to tie it in, new branch circuit, thermostat run, etc. Pretty easy TBH -running the exhaust is hardest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    I'm in the market (like need one in the next 3 weeks) for a hanging gas one like pictured above, but a bunch bigger. Anyone have a recommendation of where to go for that? Will need it installed too, and it's probably 15-20' up.
    If you're looking to DIY, or buy the unit yourself and hire a pro to do the install, I purchased mine from this place about 12 years ago. No issues/problems and they're still around. You'd want to price shop them to make sure they're still competitive. I don't have business interest in them, only pointing to them from personal experience. If you're looking for a pro-install, you might want to visit the Modine website and search for local contractors.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heaters.shtml
    Model BTU-Input BTU-Output Price
    HD30 30,000 24,000 $565
    HD45 45,000 36,000 $585
    HD60 60,000 48,000 $655
    HD75 75,000 60,000 $675

Quote Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta View Post
    I have a 3 car garage and I have 1 of these over each car spot and it does ok. If I try to put more than 1 on high it will trip my breaker though. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5479_200395479
    Rated: 15A @ 120V. (read - a lot of power!)

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Everyone is recommending natural gas heaters when the OP asked for electric. Anthony, Modine units are some of the best electric heaters around.

With that being said, if you can run a gas line there are better/cheaper options. I'd recommend radiant heat over forced air any day of the week. Forced air is noisy and makes a bunch of dust. Check out Reverberray if you think about using natural gas. Radiant works great if you have a large thermal mass (which you will with a 3 car garage). I leave my thermostat set to 50* all winter long and it costs about $30 a month to heat my shop.
    I think it just depends on the need/desire. I don't heat my garage 24x7 - only when I plan to be out there working, and I need the garage to go from 0* to 70* AFAP. My garage is not insulated or drywalled, and the 75k BTU Modine unit will bring my garage up to balmy t-shirt only temp in 10 minutes or so. I don't paint, so the minor dust isn't an issue for me either. I would also think the radiant would be more of a PITA to install since you're going to want it placed in the ideal/central location, which usually means longer gas and vent pipe runs... whereas you can stick the forced air pretty much anywhere to ease install. But I get where the radiant may be preferred too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    The one I posted apparently uses the same tube for intake and exhaust?
    Known as direct vent. Hot exhaust in the center, surrounded by cool air intake. ( () )
    I don't believe the Modine or Reznor are direct vent. Just standard B vent. I know mine isn't DV.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 12-12-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Thread Information