Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dremel tools - thoughts?

Fwiw I like an oscillating saw with a masonry blade better for grout removal but it's not as controlled as the dremel kit. You have to be more steady with the hand but it's faster.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe87 View Post
    Fwiw I like an oscillating saw with a masonry blade better for grout removal but it's not as controlled as the dremel kit. You have to be more steady with the hand but it's faster.
    100% agree. I use the dremel MM45
    1990 GT

Club Member

Thanks for the input everyone, always good to have advice based on real experience. Since I am doing only a small grout repair and not major work, I think the dremel will be fine, but I do plan to get the best one I can. The grout is more than I want to do by hand, but not an entire bathroom. I will use it mostly for light duty car projects and may try my hand at tweaking a cheap wood rifle stock. Since I've so often thought about having one over the years, I'm sure I will be using it quite a bit for various small projects. Thanks again.

I have a pile of Dremel tools, what is now called the 3000 series. Some of them have been rebuilt 2-3 times, especially the one I first got when I was a wee young lad in elementary school. That one ported a lot of two-stroke cylinders.

I use different ones for different things. Highly abrasive crap (like grout, drywall dust, pottery, etc) destroy the bearings (high RPM and a lot of chatter) and brushes/wear the armature really fast. I have another one for porting heads/metal work.

I have several flex shafts, a speed pedal, etc. The router attachment is handy for cutting holes in drywall for new receptacle boxes.

The Dremel "max" size is kind of a PITA to use. It's big, it's heavy, and I get out the die grinder instead, even if I have to run 100' of hose instead of 100' of extension cord.

The cordless ones are disappointing. Probably fine if you're doing very fine work in short bursts but at that point I'd rather use a flexshaft and a pedal.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    I have a pile of Dremel tools, what is now called the 3000 series. Some of them have been rebuilt 2-3 times, especially the one I first got when I was a wee young lad in elementary school. That one ported a lot of two-stroke cylinders.

I use different ones for different things. Highly abrasive crap (like grout, drywall dust, pottery, etc) destroy the bearings (high RPM and a lot of chatter) and brushes/wear the armature really fast. I have another one for porting heads/metal work.

I have several flex shafts, a speed pedal, etc. The router attachment is handy for cutting holes in drywall for new receptacle boxes.

The Dremel "max" size is kind of a PITA to use. It's big, it's heavy, and I get out the die grinder instead, even if I have to run 100' of hose instead of 100' of extension cord.

The cordless ones are disappointing. Probably fine if you're doing very fine work in short bursts but at that point I'd rather use a flexshaft and a pedal.
    Very good info. Since I have air and die grinder, etc., maybe I'll step back a notch from the MAX. I'm still thinking a corded unit will be good though. I have yet to really check out the various models.

So I was looking at their models. It seems what I have is mostly 3000 series, a "max" that doesn't seem to exist anymore, a 4000, and a 8050 (battery).

I have an old 2-speed one that I have cannibalized for parts. The single speed and two speed ones are a PITA as far as I'm concerned. It is nice to have variable speed for polishing, grinding, and cutting.

Most of mine are Craftsman rebrand (they usually come in a handy toolbox for the same price or less) and mostly just have different stickers on them.

The battery 8200 looks interesting. The 8050 just makes me angry most of the time.

I use the router attachment and the flex shaft 10x more often than all of the other attachments I have combined.

I have never broken one, just wore them out. And I tend to abuse them, oftentimes they get so hot that you can't touch them.

I have a ton of tungsten carbide burrs for them. Make quick work of most stuff. Usually it's cheaper (but uglier in a straight line) and faster to use one of these vs an oscillating right angle saw.

Personally, I'd find a sale on a 3000 series and maybe a flex shaft. It can be Craftsman. Or I believe Menards should be having a bag sale soon in which you could put a 3000 series in the bag along with a flex shaft and nearly get the $25 flex shaft for free.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    So I was looking at their models. It seems what I have is mostly 3000 series, a "max" that doesn't seem to exist anymore, a 4000, and a 8050 (battery).

I have an old 2-speed one that I have cannibalized for parts. The single speed and two speed ones are a PITA as far as I'm concerned. It is nice to have variable speed for polishing, grinding, and cutting.

Most of mine are Craftsman rebrand (they usually come in a handy toolbox for the same price or less) and mostly just have different stickers on them.

The battery 8200 looks interesting. The 8050 just makes me angry most of the time.

I use the router attachment and the flex shaft 10x more often than all of the other attachments I have combined.

I have never broken one, just wore them out. And I tend to abuse them, oftentimes they get so hot that you can't touch them.

I have a ton of tungsten carbide burrs for them. Make quick work of most stuff. Usually it's cheaper (but uglier in a straight line) and faster to use one of these vs an oscillating right angle saw.

Personally, I'd find a sale on a 3000 series and maybe a flex shaft. It can be Craftsman. Or I believe Menards should be having a bag sale soon in which you could put a 3000 series in the bag along with a flex shaft and nearly get the $25 flex shaft for free.
    Cool. Great info!!! I appreciate your time on this.

Club Member

I ended up just ordering a 4000 series ($75), flex shaft ($20) and grout removal tool ($22) through Amazon Prime. I got what is supposed to be "the best" short of the MAX. The 4000 came with a case and like 30 accessories and attachments. Total bill including tax was $126. Probably not the best possible deal but solid compared to Home Depot, Walmart or Menard's. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Thread Information