Thread: Any Chrysler techs in the house? 2014 Jeep Trans issue

Default Any Chrysler techs in the house? 2014 Jeep Trans issue

So my wife was driving my 2014 Grand (that's a WK2 right?) Saturday morning, and she says it popped into neutral a couple of times at a light and the trans light came on.
    Fast forward to her dropping it off at the dealer, the service writer tells me over the phone it's got a stored a code for the crank sensor and it needed an oil purge or something like that (the guy woke me up, I'm not quite sure what he said 'exactly') but I asked him to repeat that and explain what the oil and crank sensor had to do with the transmission, he kinda mumbled something but I don't think I got a straight answer only that it might need some software too but the oil purge thing was factory recommended to troubleshoot the crank sensor and necessary since as long as it was there I should get an oil change too.
    So can anyone here tell me why my crank sensor would cause my Jeep to jump into neutral and how an oil 'purge'(?) would help?
    I've had this Jeep since it was new, all the recalls are done, it's properly maintained, no idea why it's acting up now. (edited to add I believe it's the 845RE 8-speed automatic transmission)
    Last edited by TTA; 01-16-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    Sick of cars.

Did they mean transmission oil change? Purge to me mean flush, which makes me think, why would they suggest a flush & not address the filter IF they meant transmission oil?

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    Did they mean transmission oil change? Purge to me mean flush, which makes me think, why would they suggest a flush & not address the filter IF they meant transmission oil?
    I don't think dealers change trans filters anymore, just flush and fill. They don't drop the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    I don't think dealers change trans filters anymore, just flush and fill. They don't drop the pan.
    Yea, I think it is a scam too - they unhook the cooler lines and run it through the fluid swap machine while your car runs. I am not falling for that.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

The filter is the pan. To change the filter you buy a pan. See what the code number is. Also. If you can get under it look on the drivers side of trans and make sure there isn’t a bunch of snow built up around the shift lever ( this actually isn’t a shifter- it’s just a manualpark release which the handle is under the hinge cover inside your console)
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 01-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

let me ask my Chrysler diagnosis tool......

Nope, this guy meant oil as in engine oil because he said the sticker on my windshield said it was due.
    I told him I don't see how either one pertains to the transmission but he claimed it somehow did.

Sick of cars.

Well, after picking the car up and looking at invoice the service writer apparently meant cam sensor, I still don't know WTF that had to do with my transmission but seems to run, I guess I can't bitch.
    Sick of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TTA View Post
    Well, after picking the car up and looking at invoice the service writer apparently meant cam sensor, I still don't know WTF that had to do with my transmission but seems to run, I guess I can't bitch.
    Driver side cam sensor went out on my Pathfinder 2 weeks ago... same symptoms as your car, lack engine power, hard starting and transmission service light came on.... Took it to the dealer and they charge me $400 to change it. $90 part, $300 labor... I YouTubed on how to replace it and wanted to kick myself in the ass after seeing it takes 10 minutes to replace! $300 for dealer labor ... following week I got the exact same symptom...
    Scooted into Autozone, free OBD diognosis, passenger side cam sensor gone bad... $60 part, YouTube vid said 15 min to install so I went home, 10mm socket and got it done in 10 thus saved $400 from my dealer screwing me.
    SAL

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizeguy View Post
    Driver side cam sensor went out on my Pathfinder 2 weeks ago... same symptoms as your car, lack engine power, hard starting and transmission service light came on.... Took it to the dealer and they charge me $400 to change it. $90 part, $300 labor... I YouTubed on how to replace it and wanted to kick myself in the ass after seeing it takes 10 minutes to replace! $300 for dealer labor ... following week I got the exact same symptom...
    Scooted into Autozone, free OBD diognosis, passenger side cam sensor gone bad... $60 part, YouTube vid said 15 min to install so I went home, 10mm socket and got it done in 10 thus saved $400 from my dealer screwing me.
    Good job Sal!

Thread Information