Thread: Bicycle parts question

Default Bicycle parts question

Do we have any bicycle folks on mm that know a lot about parts?

Have a trek 8.3 and the fork as well as stem parts are discontinued. Personally I'd rather upgrade the innards of the current fork that currently uses a spring with lockout to something more robust that will not compress when in the lockout setting. Wouldnt mind a multi stage setting but on or off will suffice.

The stem is the most unknown. What are the proper parts? Being a 2012 model, it is threadless. Just not sure what I'd all need during the overhaul? Are there full stem rebuild kits available that will include 100% everything?

I have done threaded stems in the past, & replaced fixed forks with no issues... hell i lace, true, & tension my own wheels & service the bottom bracket when needed... why wouldn't i do my own stem & suspension fork?

http://emails.trekbikes.com/dexter/2...rvice_Info.pdf

or swap to a new-er fork?
    threadless stems are easy to use if you get the right diameter.
    Craigslist?
    my sons pegs and a carbonfiber fork cause me to find out a replacement fork...it is not the same color but was able to find a used carbonfiber to repair the bike.

Thanks for that link, but I may have been unclear. Here's what it looks like:

I'm more so looking for a one stop shop to all the hard parts needed. Before entertaining a totally different fork, keeping this one is preferred. It's still serviceable with no flaws & matches the bike; Otherwise I'd go all out to something that I'd likely never put to full use. lol
    Last edited by Beigg; 01-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.

The stem is the part that attaches the handle bars to the forks. You can get any brand in just bout any length that your hear desires. The tricky part is identifying the fork. You'll need to know the manufacturer in order to get rebuild parts. Swing by your local bike shop and ask the mechanic if he has any idea what the fork is. A lot of times they can order what you need from QBP. As far as I know QBP does not sell to the public.

After more digging, the steerer is a SR Suntour NEX 4610, has a 63mm travel fork. I'm finding that XCT parts are the route I may need to go for rehabbing the steerer assembly.
    These sleeves match based on what I have.
    https://www.srsuntour.com/collection...nt=27529028163
    Going to see if they sell a full rebuild kit containing some suspension upgrades.

Thread Information