Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions for the Ls guys......

Cool Couple questions for the Ls guys......

I have a 05 Denali 6.0, it seems the oil pump quit and it’s now locked up.

First question is can I swap a 5.3 in with out any hassle and if not what does it take to work?

Second question is what years are interchangeable and should I be looking for a certain year versus another due to better quality? And yes I realize it’s really 4 questions lol.

Everything will physically bolt up the same however without a cal for a 5.3 it’s not going to run correctly.

It should have an LQ9 (higher compression 6.0 found in Silverado ss, escalade, Denali). 03-06 would be the year range to look for. An LQ4 would work as well. Slightly lower compression but much more abundant as these came in HD pickups.

Using the matched PCM taken from the same vehicle youd obtain the 5.3L from, it might be plug & play. Otherwise, the other option might be to flash it. I'm not sure if you'd require dealership support still...

I have a buddy who put a 5.3 in a 4.8 truck and it ran on the original PCM. It seemed to run fine but he got an aftermarket tune fairly quickly after the swap

Forum Member

Swapping PCM's might be an option, but is the wiring the same pin for pin on each?
    I have no experience with any LS engine, but that would be my question when trying to run A with B.

PCM swap would likely result in a no start due to conflict of VINs between pcm/bcm

Yeah kinda what I figured just wasn’t sure about the reluctor wheel and that stuff, I’ll just spend a few extra dollars and get the 6.0 when I do it. Not gonna be anytime soon with this weather and my work schedule. Thanks for the help fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by RSpencer View Post
    PCM swap would likely result in a no start due to conflict of VINs between pcm/bcm
    that is what I was unsure of. The vin can be changed in the PCM tho.

Actually a 5.3L from 2001-2007 should work fine even with the stock computer and harness from your truck. The 02's will reset your long term and short term fuel trims and it should run a-ok.

The 5.3L and 6.0L use the same injectors, just slightly different amounts of fuel. If you want to sell the smoked 6.0 I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradriver10000 View Post
    Actually a 5.3L from 2001-2007 should work fine even with the stock computer and harness from your truck. The 02's will reset your long term and short term fuel trims and it should run a-ok.

The 5.3L and 6.0L use the same injectors, just slightly different amounts of fuel. If you want to sell the smoked 6.0 I might be interested.
    as long as it’s 24x it should be fine right?

Thread Information