Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry level Mig

Default Entry level Mig

I'm looking to pick up an entry level mig. I'll probably use it mostly for welding up exhaust and small odds and ends around the garage. Not looking to spend a million bucks at this point. I'm kinda looking at the Forney 299 ($200 super cheap but decent reviews) and the Hobart 140 amp ($500 also great reviews). Any tips or pointers? The most, absolute most I'd probably ever attempt is some minor frame repair at some point which has me leaning towards a ~140amp unit. I do have 240v in my garage so I could step up to the 190 or 210MVP. Whats the benefit of a spool gun?

You should get a 220v machine with a gas hook up, much cleaner weld and easier to use in my opinion, I have a 110v Lincoln in the garage and it’s a flux core machine and it is useless for anything more then sheet metal or real small stuff that don’t look good. Miller, Lincoln,Hobart all make nice entry level machines that will last a long time.

I love my Hobart 190. I use gas with it. Same use as you.....small fab and repairs.

You only need the spool gun if you plan to try and weld aluminum.....but if you plan to do a lot of aluminum then I'd get a TIG.

--Joe

I have a Lincoln 180 Mig (220v gas) it's great for pretty much anything. The140 Mig is 110V and can do anything but 1/4" and larger plate steel for the most part.

I've had a Lincoln sp125, 110V for 23 years and it never skipped a beat. It gets used all the time. I'd look for a used one (any 110v Lincoln), on Craigslist.

110v is a smart option, if you need it somewhere away from home! If not, you have 220v so use it! I do not believe there’s any benefit with duty cycle 110-140 @110v but arc stability might have a difference in the 140-180 amp @ 110v so if you decide 140-180 go 220v and remember you lose the freedom to take it out of the garage in a pinch!
    120 - 140 amp ideal, but say 140-180 is best to have on hand later down the road, if you think you could really get into welding, and see a need later on aim for 140-180.
    Mig is not must!
    Flux core is great for a beginner, once you get decent then run gas if you feel the need.
    A person who doesn’t know how to weld can still weld ugly non penetrating spattered welds with gas, I think FC makes you a better beginner, forces you to do proper technique kinda, and even with FC you can weld just as nice as mig with little spatter which can be easily remedied with a soapy water spray and just wipe the weld seam dry with a rag, but the biggest thing with FC is technique the angle,direction,distance and speed all have a effect on how bad the spatter will be.
    Spool gun has no use to you yet, or maybe ever so I believe it’s not even a option to consider.

There’s a lot more to welding than most beginners imagine especially if you never been around it, there is preparation and a lot of safety to think about.

Do you have any experience trying it, ever around someone welding?
    You might not feel it but sure as hell act it

I've had a 110v Miller with the gas for about 15 years. Great setup. I use it all the time. Plug into any 20 amp 110v outlet. I've welded plenty with a good extension cord. Cant beat the convenience and can lay down a nice weld. Personally, I'd stay away from anything flux core if possible.
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

I have a 120v craftsman gas mig, works for most of what I need, if I was doing frame work I'd want a 240v machine
    ASE Master Certified Technician

I think i've narrowed it down some, the Lincoln 180HD and the Eastwood 175... both units are around 500-600.

I've been around welding, but haven't really ever done it myself. I don't plan on EVER needing to take the welder outside my garage. Any projects i'll ever work on will be in my pole barn.

I haven't looked into starting yet, I figure step one get a decent rig, step two weld sh!t. I'll do my best to not get burned or start anything on fire. lol

Forum Member
    I think I have a Prius stuck in my intake.

I like my Eastwood MIG 135.

Thread Information