Thread: 2018 F150 headlight fog/condensation

Default 2018 F150 headlight fog/condensation

I had switched my bulbs to leds and found out the the covers on low beams didn’t fit so I ordered the taller ones to fit put them on and the lights still get fog and condensation in them. Any thoughts or fixes for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dry them out then caulk/seal all the seams.

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Dry them out then caulk/seal all the seams.

--Joe
    Any idea how to take them out lol?

If they weren't fogging before, then the problem is probably in your install somewhere. I used to work on OEM headlights, and I can tell you they spend a lot of time on proper venting so that they don't fog, or if they do, they should clear on their own quickly. Usually the bulbs and covers have seals on them that can bind up. You can throw a little bit of dielectric grease on them if they are leaking.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by saleenjames View Post
    Any idea how to take them out lol?
    heat gun

Quote Originally Posted by svopro View Post
    heat gun
    Ment take out the headlight

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    If they weren't fogging before, then the problem is probably in your install somewhere. I used to work on OEM headlights, and I can tell you they spend a lot of time on proper venting so that they don't fog, or if they do, they should clear on their own quickly. Usually the bulbs and covers have seals on them that can bind up. You can throw a little bit of dielectric grease on them if they are leaking.

-Geoff
    Do I add the grease to the bulb seals and the dust covers?

I would put a light coat on every seal. I don't know what they look like, but if they are a hard cover that twists in, they should have some type of rubber seal associated with them. If they don't have this, then that is your leak. Try swapping the seals from the coverrs you replaced. Check the aftermarket wiring too. Sometimes it isn't sealed.

The problem with the aftermarket is, the OEM makes the lights so good, that even if you have a pinprick leak, it will suck water in as it cools. They usually have gortex patches on them to help balance the moisture in the lamp, but they don't cure actual liquid water very well.

If the lamp is actually leaking from Ford, they will usually warranty it, but not with an aftermarket bulb and covers on it.

-Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I would put a light coat on every seal. I don't know what they look like, but if they are a hard cover that twists in, they should have some type of rubber seal associated with them. If they don't have this, then that is your leak. Try swapping the seals from the coverrs you replaced. Check the aftermarket wiring too. Sometimes it isn't sealed.

The problem with the aftermarket is, the OEM makes the lights so good, that even if you have a pinprick leak, it will suck water in as it cools. They usually have gortex patches on them to help balance the moisture in the lamp, but they don't cure actual liquid water very well.

If the lamp is actually leaking from Ford, they will usually warranty it, but not with an aftermarket bulb and covers on it.

-Geoff
    IMG_3104.JPGIMG_3105.JPG

Yea, those are definitely leakers, not normal condensation.

-Geoff

Thread Information