Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade school

Default Trade school

My son graduating in a month and I was wounded anyone know or have advise to get him into a trade school or started in a heating and cooling or electrician filed

Heating and cooling is great, plus there’s always side money to be made, I’m a millwright by trade and make good money but the side job market is not there lol. Can’t really go wrong with being and electrician, the big three can’t get enough of them and there’s always the possibility to start his own company etc. I’ve been in the trades for 15 years and from what I can see there’s a huge demand for new apprentices in most fields.

Default Trade school

My son graduating in a month and I was wounded anyone know or have advise to get him into a trade school or started in a heating and cooling or electrician filed

Any idea were to start to look at

Millwright local 1102 in warren, have to call and seee when there taking applications

Ibew local 58 detroit

Iron workers local 25 in novi

Lawrence tech for hvac school

There’s also carpenters union, Pipefitter’s, boiler makers these are all considers building trades.

These are all well paying jobs most apprenticeship programs start at about 60% of journeyman’s scale( between $16 and $21 an hour. You should stress to him that attendance is key to being successful in the trades and so is attention to detail. And it will require travel all over Michigan and sometimes out of state if he wants to stay busy. I averaged 80k a year as an apprentice.

I served 9 years in the building trades and when times got slow I went in-house at gm Hamtrmck for 6 years and just recently started at Toledo Jeep plant. In-house is a lot more money but the building trades will make him a well rounded tradesmen and Make him more of an asset to a company.

Did you try Macomb Community College? They offer a lot of those programs there, plus they have a pretty good placement office. I take welding and tech classes there for fun, but they have a pretty deep bench of tech programs and certifications. I would start there. I am down there Tuesday and Thursday night if he needs a tour.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

washtenaw

thanks for all the feedback. we will start looking into them

Thread Information