Thread: Torque wrenches - what brand to buy?

Club Member

Default Torque wrenches - what brand to buy?

I'm looking to buy some new torque wrenches 1/2", 3/8", possibly 1/4"...and I'm wondering what you guys might recommend by way of brand?

I don't use them very frequently, but I want something pretty decent when I do and I have a few projects lined up this spring/summer. Understanding that you do get what you pay for, does a guy have to go to Snap-On just to get something that's middle of the road now? And I don't need digital display, angle, audible notification, etc...just looking for click-type.

I know in the past (20+ years ago), Craftsman was ok for a hobbyist like me, but lately their stuff is garbage even in basic hand tools...so their stuff scares me and I'm hesitant to even buy sockets from them now.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Harbor Freight. Seriously. Unless you're assembling engines they're just as accurate as anything else out there short of the high dollar SnapOn ones.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Check out CDI torque wrenches

Try eBay. I got some killer deals on Snapon. CDI is the brand that makes Snapon digital. Harbor freight is ok but they start to fail with frequent use.

Default Torque wrenches - what brand to buy?

Husky brand, I got them at Home Depot. I use them for the more important stuff vs my wrenches from Harbor Freight and they didn’t carry the price tag of the higher end stuff. They come with a calibration cert which was the selling point for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93calypsohatch View Post
    Check out CDI torque wrenches
    Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

Looks like CDI is 'mostly' Snap-On with the possible exception of the head itself/ratcheting mechanism. And considering they are less than half the price, they may work well for my application. $150 vs. $387 for what appears to be nearly the same 1/2" torque wrench. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    Harbor Freight. Seriously. Unless you're assembling engines they're just as accurate as anything else out there short of the high dollar SnapOn ones.
    It is funny you say that, because I agree completely. I bought this torque wrench about 30 years ago from a NAPA place for $20. We were working on my buddy's car, and he had seen (and made fun of) my torque wrench in the past, so he brought a big dollar digital one from Mac that he borrowed from somebody. We both tightened a bolt that torqued to 45 ft-lbs, and paint marked it, and both wrenches torqued to the exact same spot.

The big reason I might spring for a nice digital is that they can do torque angle much easier (engines and suspensions), and they can be set to beep which is easier than feeling a click. But yea, for most stuff, I would go cheap too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I have harbor freight for lug nuts

Badass mac digital i picked up off Motown for the other stuff

If you weren’t in BFE...... I could hook you up a clicker 1/2” drive for free

Thread Information