Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Lapeer dragway has a new owner

Just the concrete wall part I meant for ihra
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Oh ok. I agree with and like the concrete walls. I wont race at guardrail track again. I did at lapeer one time over 10yrs ago but never again. I'm pretty bummed they made the track that narrow though. Some of these cars making a few thousand horsepower move around side to side a good bit on a run. Not sure how I'd feel being that close to a wall and the other persons lane.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    Oh ok. I agree with and like the concrete walls. I wont race at guardrail track again. I did at lapeer one time over 10yrs ago but never again. I'm pretty bummed they made the track that narrow though. Some of these cars making a few thousand horsepower move around side to side a good bit on a run. Not sure how I'd feel being that close to a wall and the other persons lane.
    I won't say much until I make a pass, I think it will be fine until it's not.

From the chatter I've heard it sounded like they might have some grudge type events. Those cars are stupid fast, a few of those guys rub paint or the wall and none of the fast cars will be interested. Time will tell, I'd just hate for them to miss the mark because of the track width. I know one person who made passes and when I asked about the width he said "it's raceable".

For all I know it could be safer this way, maybe being on the narrow side will keep the cars from taking hard impacts by not allowing the car to turn into the wall as hard and will provide more of a "brush" off hit.
    Last edited by nitrousrick; 07-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    84 Mustang Coupe

he bought 80 acres to the south, for more truck & trailer parking too

looks like the walls will be done this week for 1/4 mile stuff
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Closer to the wall you are the less it
    hurts when you hit it
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. A friend of mine is one of the guys working on that project. The width is slightly concerning to me because my cars have had power wheelie problems, even at or after 330' out. That seems like we may be aborting passes that we'd normally be able to pedal through, because if the car is way up at speed, it might be tough to tell if we're going to land it on the wall or not.

I guess I just have to try it first, but it does seem narrow. They are committed to making it hook though, which is really the most important thing in my opinion.
    11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Closer to the wall you are the less it
    hurts when you hit it
    Not when mine and others cars are all composite. I already went through this once "bumping" a wall and destroyed a front clip and a door. This was at a track that was much wider and I barely felt the car hit. I almost had it gathered up when I touched it. If the walls were 5-6ft closer I would have smashed the entire side of my car and done tons more damage. Almost any touching the wall rips composite cars up.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    Not when mine and others cars are all composite. I already went through this once "bumping" a wall and destroyed a front clip and a door. This was at a track that was much wider and I barely felt the car hit. I almost had it gathered up when I touched it. If the walls were 5-6ft closer I would have smashed the entire side of my car and done tons more damage. Almost any touching the wall rips composite cars up.

Ryan, i know a good body guy thats good with duct tape and super glue. (Standy)..... just saying.
    Just another deplorable American...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy81 View Post
    Ryan, i know a good body guy thats good with duct tape and super glue. (Standy)..... just saying.
    We were drinking beers Saturday and Andy suggested we go crash your camp site lol. I FINALLY got a guy to paint my car next month. If not I'll have Andy on backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying it out. A friend of mine is one of the guys working on that project. The width is slightly concerning to me because my cars have had power wheelie problems, even at or after 330' out. That seems like we may be aborting passes that we'd normally be able to pedal through, because if the car is way up at speed, it might be tough to tell if we're going to land it on the wall or not.

I guess I just have to try it first, but it does seem narrow. They are committed to making it hook though, which is really the most important thing in my opinion.
    I've been waiting to hear the thoughts of one of the heavy hitters.
    84 Mustang Coupe

Thread Information